CineHawk review: “Ghosted” 

gabriellaguzzardo4
GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

“Ghosted” is a fun and entertaining action movie with a twist of romance, featuring strong performances from the lead actors and great dialogue from writers Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick and Chris McKenna.

Chris Evans and Ana de Armas have great chemistry on screen, and their characters’ dynamic brings a fresh twist to the typical gender roles in spy movies. Evans portrays Cole, a farmer who falls for Sadie, played by de Armas, a CIA agent who mistakes him for a deadly secret agent known as Taxman. Throughout the movie, they embark on a global adventure to evade the villainous Leveque, played by Adrien Brody, and work to find the password for a deadly weapon known as Aztec. The couple’s authenticity in their bickering and squabbles makes this movie both hilarious and genuine. 

The film’s romantic comedy elements are well-balanced with its action sequences, and the stunt work is solid. The writers, veterans of Marvel projects, spend ample time developing the characters and their relationship, which makes the audience care about them as both individuals and as a couple. 

“Ghosted” is a visual treat with stunning cinematography and deft direction. Director Dexter Fletcher creates a stylish and slick film that pops off the screen. The lighting, framing and camera work are all superb, showcasing the alluring chemistry between the two leads as well as the picturesque locations. Fletcher proves adept at crafting both tender, intimate moments as well as high-energy action sequences. For a fun, fast-paced film with gorgeous visuals and winning performances, you can’t go wrong with “Ghosted.”

The film is fast-paced, which keeps the audience engaged throughout its two-hour runtime. The villains are solid, and celebrity cameos like Ryan Reynolds and Anthony Mackie add a nice touch. Overall, “Ghosted” is a decent and enjoyable movie that packs a lot of entertainment into its runtime. This fun and engaging movie has a little something for fans of action movies as well fans of romantic comedies.