Bella Italia Pizza offers Philly a taste of New York

The exterior of Bella Italia Pizza, located at 12 E. Lancaster Ave. in Ardmore, Pa. PHOTO: MADELINE WILLIAMS ’26/THE HAWK

When you walk into Bella Italia in Ardmore, you are immediately hit with the smell and sights of a classic New York-style pizzeria.

Bella Italia specializes in New York City-style pizza, which generally has a thin crust, but they also have many different kinds of slices and sandwiches, including chicken parmesan hoagies, Philly cheesesteaks and meatball subs.

“This is definitely the traditional Brooklyn way,” said employee Christina Fittipoldi. “It’s the only way. It’s not boardwalk pizza. We do have Sicilian slices, which is really lovely, and then you put toppings on it. And we have some specialty slices like barbecue chicken or buffalo chicken. When you walk in here, you’re gonna eat.”

Liam Rooney ’23 likes to order the cheesesteak slice of pizza.

“I like it because it combines their great pizza and their great cheesesteak,” Rooney said.

Bella Italia has a rich history in the making of pizza. The owners, Vito and Maria Cilluffo, migrated from Sicily, Italy and eventually met in Brooklyn. They later married and moved to Pennsylvania in 1978, where they opened up their first pizzeria with a plan to bring New York City-style pizza to their neighborhood.

Front entrance to Bella Italia Pizza. PHOTO: MADELINE WILLIAMS ’26/THE HAWK

In 1982, the Cilluffos bought Bella Italia in Ardmore, and the rest has been history. Vito still owns Bella Italia, but Maria died in January 2021.

Because of pandemic-related increases in costs, a slice of pizza at Bella Italia is a bit more than other places in the area at around $4, but its quality is just as good, Fittipoldi said.

One thing that Bella Italia emphasizes is that they are a family business. You are immediately greeted with a sign that says “Eat, pray, and welcome,” and you feel that when you are being waited on.

“That’s what’s so beautiful, is just that connection with people,” Fittipoldi said. “That’s what we need right now more than ever.”

Tom O’Connell ’25 has this exact experience when visiting Bella Italia.

“When you walk into Bella Italia it’s a nice family owned restaurant,” O’Connell said. “They give you a warm welcome.”

Bella Italia is located at 12 E. Lancaster Ave. in Ardmore, about three miles from the Hawk Hill campus. Its hours are 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 11 a.m.-10 p.m. on Sundays.