‘A celebration of identities’: SJUPride hosts picnic

Dehlyla Hernandez ’25 (left), Caleb Datto ’26 (center) and Clare Joyce ’25 (right) are the organizing team of the SJUPride Picnic. PHOTO: MAURITZ WILSHUSEN ’27/THE HAWK

SJUPride hosted a picnic outside Campion Student Center Sept. 22 to spread awareness about SJUPride and to create a welcoming and inclusive space for all students. Students gathered on the lawn to eat, play outdoor games and enjoy each other’s company.

Caleb Datto ’26, secretary of SJU Pride, said SJUPride has a number of objectives this year.

“[Our goals] are to promote a space of inclusivity on campus for all students, especially highlighting different identities about sexuality, sexual orientation and gender,” Datto said.

Dehlyla Hernandez ’25, president of SJUPride, said the club plans to host more events to create a safe space on campus.

“I think right now, we are just promoting ourselves as a way for allies and LGBTQIA+ students to just come relax, enjoy each other [and] create a safe community to get to know one another,” Hernandez said.

Alison Quinn ’27 attended the picnic so she could connect with others.

“I want to make connections with people who are either in the LGBTQ community or allies,” Quinn said.

Quinn said homophobia in her high school forced the LGBTQ group she led to operate in secret.

“We went to Catholic school and we weren’t allowed to have a gay club,” Quinn said, pleased with how SJUPride is supported in the St. Joe’s community.

Others, like Louie Collins ’25, attended the event to learn, but also to share information about the importance of learning more about gender inclusivity.

“That’s really important because if you do misgender someone, then they have to out themselves in a way,” Collins said.

Imani Briscoe ’17, program specialist for inclusion and diversity experiential programming and staff adviser for SJUPride, said she helps the club with funding and advises them on how to host and promote events representing people from all parts of the university.

“I think it just results in a celebration of identities, where people feel seen and heard,” Briscoe said. “They make up the community and have a significant contribution to it.”

Hernandez said she felt this community through the support SJUPride received from organizations, especially Campus Ministry.

“They have been really welcoming and very wanting to interact and do events,” Hernandez said.

St. Joe’s students playing games at the Sept. 22 SJUPride Picnic.
Clare Joyce ’25, an organizer of the event, giving out vegan burgers at the Sept. 22 SJUPride Picnic.
PHOTOS: MAURITZ WILSHUSEN ’27/THE HAWK