Traveling through the Day

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

Going through the day’s motions can seem repetitive, but sometimes all you need is a good song to get you out of one funk and into another. Here is a list of songs to take you from dusk till dawn.

“Banana Pancakes” – Jack Johnson

The sweet smell of banana pancakes can fill any room with the nostalgic feeling of early morning childhood wake-up calls. For many, Jack Johnson has the same nostalgic effect. Released in 2005, “Banana Pancakes” reflects upon the simplicity of life and starting every morning off “like it’s the weekend,” not worrying about the day to come.

“9 to 5” – Dolly Parton

In just three minutes, Dolly Parton perfectly encapsulates the working world with her 1980 hit, “9 to 5.” While at first listen, this song is about the motions of the day, from tumbling out of bed to jumping in the shower, there’s a more powerful message hidden within the lyrics of female inequality in the workplace. Parton makes a stance against the frustrations women face in a working environment, all while making listeners stomp and holler.

“In the Kitchen”- Reneé Rapp

From playing Regina George on Broadway to sharing her music on TikTok, Reneé Rapp is one of pop music’s up-and-coming artists. While the song “In the Kitchen,” the second track on her first EP, may not have the happy ending of a loving couple cooking in the kitchen together, it paints the haunting image of a former love lingering late into the evening.

“Midnight”- Ed Sheeran

English singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran released his second album of the year Sept. 29, “Autumn Variations.” In an Instagram post, Sheeran said he was releasing this album on his own label specifically for his dedicated fans in hopes the album “feels like a warm hug.” The album features the song “Midnight,” which calls out to those late nights spent in the arms of someone you love.

“Ever Changing Times” – Aretha Franklin feat. Michael McDonald

This bonus track to this week’s playlist reminds us time is constantly moving and it is okay to slow down. Aretha Franklin, the “Queen of Soul,” reminds listeners that while time may pass, there is also a future to look forward to. She finds the best mentality to travel through the day is to see the clock on the wall, but not let it bother her. Time is always changing, but it is what we do with our time that matters most.