Youth area girls’ basketball players learn from Big 5 college athletes

GRAPHIC: SADIE HENZES ’24 /THE HAWK

Angie Johnson found out about the Philly Girls Got Game basketball clinic Friday, the day before the event. She made a last-minute decision to sign up her daughter, Kennedy, because of the life lessons that come from sports.

“[This opportunity] contributes to building their confidence,” Johnson said Saturday at the event. “And gives them the motivation that they need to push forward and pursue their dreams and passions.”

About 175 girls between second and eighth grade gathered in South Philadelphia High School Saturday for the Philly Girls Got Game basketball clinic in part of the Philadelphia Youth Sports Collaborative.

The clinic, that’s been held for youth girls’ basketball players since 2009, is run by players and coaches of the Big 5 teams. This year marked the first time the event picked back up since the covid-19 pandemic.

Part of the Philadelphia Youth Sports Collaborative’s mission is to give young girls equal opportunities in sports. Beth Devine, the executive director of the organization, said the clinic serves their mission by providing them a place to learn and play.

“The coolest message today was that we had multiple players on these teams that were here with the colleges, who actually were at this clinic 10 years ago — 11 years ago,” Devine said.

Having women basketball players in the Big 5 demonstrate the value of hard work was one of the clinic’s main objectives.

“You got to get in the door, work hard and you could end up there,” Devine said about the college athletes. “For us to be able to bring that to as many girls as possible is basically our mission.”

Girls who attended the clinic were broken up into smaller groups to take part in various sessions around the gym. Each group focused on a different drill, which was directed by the players and coaches from St. Joe’s, Villanova, La Salle, Penn, Temple and Drexel. The girls worked on shooting, blocking, dribbling, passing and more.

They also received a lesson on the importance of hydration and concluded it with advice from St. Joe’s coach Cindy Griffin and an activity by Villanova coach Denise Dillion.

Griffin reminded the young crowd about the importance of being present, having confidence and showing respect to others.

The young girls who attended the clinic were not the only ones to get something out of it. The college players also received a valuable lesson:

“Giving back to your community is something that’s very special,” said St. Joe’s junior guard Mackenzie Smith. “It’s good for us to do and it’s good for everyone to do.

“It’s very heartwarming having all these young girls looking at you and watching everything that you do,” Smith said.

This article was first published by the Philadelphia Inquirer Oct. 1, 2023 as part of the Inquirer’s college correspondent program.