The 76ers cross over into the post-Harden era

GRAPHIC: MINDY CHOI ’25/THE HAWK

After months of speculation and rumors, 76ers point guard James Harden was traded to the Los Angeles Clippers Oct. 31.

The Sixers sent Harden, P.J. Tucker and Filip Petrušev to L.A. in exchange for Nicolas Batum, Robert Covington, KJ Martin, Marcus Morris, two first-round picks, two second-round picks and a 2029 first-round pick swap.

The trade marks the end of one of the biggest storylines from the NBA offseason. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported June 29 that Harden, 34, accepted his $35.6 million contract option for 2023 and requested a trade to the Clippers. The two teams failed to reach an agreement over the next few months. During this time, Harden referred to Daryl Morey, president of basketball operations for the Philadelphia 76ers, as a “liar” during a promotional event in China and flew to Houston during the Sixers’ preseason. Harden returned to the team’s facilities as they began preparations for the regular season but was asked to remain in Philadelphia and train during the Sixers’ opening road trip.

The Clippers have been all-in on winning a championship since they traded five first-round picks and guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander to Oklahoma City to pair Paul George and Kawhi Leonard together in 2019. The Harden trade reaffirms their commitment to immediate success. It remains to be seen how Harden fits with George, Leonard and Russell Westbrook; all four players do their best work on-ball.

The deal restocks the Sixers’ depleted draft asset pool and gives them over $70 million in cap space next offseason. Morey can now acquire a star via trade or free agency to play alongside reigning MVP Joel Embiid and rising star Tyrese Maxey.

It is now up to new Sixers’ Head Coach Nick Nurse to decide on the new rotation in the post-Harden era. He has implemented a new system focusing on off-ball movement and passing. Per NBA Advanced Stats, the Sixers are running fewer isolation plays and getting out in transition far more than they did under former coach Doc Rivers and rank sixth in the league in offensive efficiency.

A key factor behind this offensive success has been the continued development of Maxey. Maxey has thrived in a lead guard role in Harden’s absence, averaging 27.3 points, 5.3 rebounds and 5.8 assists per game on efficient shooting splits while also limiting turnovers to 1 per game. His development as a playmaker suggests that he is ready to lead the offense alongside Embiid.

Robert Covington and Nicolas Batum will compete with offseason signing Kelly Oubre Jr. for the fifth spot in Nurse’s starting lineup. Covington, a Sixer from 2014 to 2018, is a career 36.2% three-point shooter and a versatile help defender. Batum, meanwhile, brings a very strong connective skillset on both ends. He can switch and provide weak-side rim protection on defense. On offense, Batum is a knock-down shooter and an excellent passer capable of swinging the ball to open teammates. Off the bench, 23-year-old KJ Martin will add explosiveness as one of the most ferocious dunkers in the league.

While the Sixers did not get a star in return for Harden, they have options available to acquire one via cap space or trade. Batum, Covington, Martin and Morris add wing depth to the Sixers’ bench for the rest of the season. This move probably does not make the Sixers title contenders, however, they stand to make moves next offseason that will set them up to compete for years to come.