Will Hoskins head home?

GRAPHIC: SADIE HENZES ’24/THE HAWK

Phillies President of Baseball Operations David Dombrowski announced the team would move forward with Bryce Harper as the starting first baseman Nov. 8. The move spells the end of free agent Rhys Hoskins’ Phillies career.

Hoskins entered the 2023 season in the last year of his contract. In a spring training game against Detroit, Hoskins suffered an ACL tear fielding a short-hop batted ball, injury that sidelined him for the entire season. Phillies General Manager Rob Thomson played several players at first, including Darick Hall, Kody Clemens and Jake Cave, before settling on Harper after his return from ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, more commonly known as Tommy John surgery. Playing Harper at first enabled Kyle Schwarber, a poor defender, to be the designated hitter rather than the left fielder. This is the alignment that the Phillies will use moving forward, leaving Hoskins without a spot in the lineup.

Hoskins, a career Phillie, departs Citizens Bank Park as a fan favorite. After an outstanding junior year, the Phillies drafted Hoskins out of Sacramento State in 2014. He quickly rose through the Phillies’ minor league system, won International League MVP during his 2016 season with AAA affiliate Lehigh Valley and made his MLB debut in August 2017.

He hit the ground running in the big leagues, hitting 18 home runs and finishing with 2.2 wins above replacement (WAR) in just 50 games, according to Baseball Reference. Since then, Hoskins has been one of the best batting first-basemen in the National League (NL). Hoskins finished with over 25 home runs each season from 2018-2022, except for the pandemic-shortened 2020 season.

Hoskins was instrumental in the Phillies’ unlikely 2022 National League pennant run. He finished the regular season with 30 home runs and the playoff with six. This includes four in the NL Championship Series over the San Diego Padres. During game three of the Divisional Series, the Phillies first home playoff game in 11 years, he hit a three-run home run to left field off of Atlanta Braves ace Spencer Strider, spiked his bat into the ground in jubilation and sprinted around the bases. The home run has rapidly become one of the most iconic moments in Philadelphia sports history.

Dombrowski remarked he did inform Hoskins of the team’s decision and there would not be a place for Hoskins in the lineup. Hoskins, 30, will have no trouble finding a home in free agency. Some potential suitors include the Milwaukee Brewers, Minnesota Twins, Cleveland Guardians, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Angels. All five teams need a first baseman and slugger in the middle of their lineup. San Francisco and Los Angeles may especially appeal to Hoskins as he is a California native.