‘Soob,’ ‘DOOP’ and ‘U’: Philadelphia Union match day guide

GRAPHIC: STEPHANIE SAVELA ’25/THE HAWK

Soccer is my favorite sport to watch live. The atmosphere and constant action make for a unique experience, even compared to other sports. With the 2024 Major League Soccer (MLS) season in full swing, it is the perfect time to catch a Philadelphia Union match on a weekend night. If you go to one, here is a guide to Union matchdays:

“The Soob”

Subaru Park in Chester, Pennsylvania is the Union’s home stadium. “The Soob,” as Union fans call it, sits right on the banks of the Delaware River. You can see the Delaware and Commodore Barry Bridge in the background from the main stands. This makes for some scenic photos during sunset. 

Things to do

There is no shortage of activities to enjoy before the match. The official supporters’ group, named the Sons of Ben, has official tailgates in the parking lot. The team just opened “Union Yards,” a brand-new tailgating space and brewpub next to the stadium. There are games, food vendors and live music. You can meet Phang, the Union’s anthropomorphic snake mascot, and try your hand (and foot!) at soccer-related challenges in Subaru Plaza. 

What to explore

I highly recommend exploring the stadium before the match. The only stoppage in play is for halftime. If you leave your seat, you may miss something important. The stadium is quite intimate, so you can do a lap of the concourse fairly quickly. There are plenty of food options around the stadium: a P.J. Whelihan’s, a Chickie’s & Pete’s and a cheesesteak window, among others. The team store is located behind section 112, where you can pick up a jersey or scarf to wear while you enjoy the match. In my opinion, the Union has some of the best merchandise designs in all of Philadelphia sports; the blue and gold combination just works!

The best seat in the house

Once the match starts, find your seat and enjoy the atmosphere. There is only one level of seats, so you always feel close to the action. But the best spot in the house is, by far, the River End. Located at the southern end of the stadium, the River End is home to the Union’s supporter groups and most passionate fans. Everyone is required to stand and sing the entire match. I recommend joining the River End at least once — it is a different experience from any other American sport. Plus, the chants are simple, so you can learn them easily. If you really want to immerse yourself in soccer culture and the Union fandom, the River End is where to be. 

“DOOP”

Naturally, the most exciting part of the match is when the Union scores. The official goal song of the Union is a sample from Scooter’s 2003 song “Maria (I Like It Loud).” The song repeats the word “DOOP” over loud synths and bass. There is no better feeling than yelling “DOOP” at the top of your lungs while you celebrate a goal, an iconic rallying cry among Union fans. I promise you will find yourself humming the melody to yourself on the drive home; it is incredibly catchy. 

Union matches are a delightful and unique Philly sports experience. There is nothing like the matchday atmosphere at the Soob. The team is competitive, too; they have made the playoffs the last six years. Head on down to Chester and DOOP!