Le Cat Café

Graphic by Kaitlyn Patterson 20.
Graphic by Kaitlyn Patterson ’20.

A “purrfect” day for cat lovers

I did a double-take when my friend informed me that we would be going to a cat café. Though she gave me a detailed explanation, my mind was still boggled at the concept of a cat café. I resolved to just wait and find out more when I arrived.

Little did I know that this cafe would be far better than I expected it to be. When I stepped out of the Uber, I saw a cute little store with Parisian decorations and a few adorable cats in the window. I was immediately intrigued since I am a bit of a Francophile.

As I stepped in, I noticed a long room with cat furniture, mellow music and a ton of adorable felines walking around. An employee explained to us that for $10, we had one hour to feed, cuddle and play with the cats.

We were also told that these cats were all rescued from the streets of Philadelphia and they were all up for adoption. Naturally, my current dorm situation forced me to decline the offer of adopting a cat, but it was nice to fantasize for a moment about petting a cat on my lap as I sat in a chair reading.

Once the employee was finished explaining the café to us, my friends and I approached the various cats in the room, in awe of being surrounded by so much cuteness. It was like releasing a bunch of five year olds in a candy store; dangerous, yet entertaining to watch from afar.  We got toys to play with the cats, fed them treats and took an obscene amount of photos and videos (I apologize again to anyone who had to sit through my Snapchat stories that day). The cats were all so loving, except for the one who hissed at me when I almost stepped on him. We’re still going through a rough patch, but maybe he’ll come around.

These cats were so incredibly soft and peaceful, and it was really beneficial to my friends and I as it relieved all our stress. For an hour, we could forget about the issues of life and enter a place of serenity and euphoria. It was definitely worth it, and I would go back again.

I highly recommend visiting Le Cat Café, because for $10, you can spend your time with adorable cats, relieve your stress, have some tea or hot chocolate and spend time with your friends. I’m so thankful that my friend encouraged me to come with her to try something new, because I now have this experience added to my mental portfolio of random college memories.

All right you cool cats, I hope you have a “purrfect” day. Don’t worry, I’m done with the cat puns meow.