'A voice for the voiceless'
Kiley O’Brien ’25, Assistant Features Editor • July 18, 2024
Fit to be king
Lilli Dellheim '25 M.A., Special to the Hawk • July 13, 2024

Keeping mind and spirit in shape

Graphic by Kaitlyn Patterson ’20.

Resources to maintain mental health on campus

College is not an easy experience  for anyone. With challenging courses and endless extracurricular activities, it may seem like one barely has time to breathe. If someone asks me how I am, I immediately respond, “Good. Really busy, but good,” as if on autopilot.

I watch friends and strangers alike repeat those same sentiments, some with dark circles under their eyes, others with nails bitten from nerves. This has become so normal that those who may be suffering with something more than just casual stress might feel like no one will truly hear them.

In light of World Mental Health Day, which was observed on Oct. 10, it’s important to become aware of the mental health resources on campus for students. To those who may be suffering, whether you get help or not, it is important to remember that your feelings are valid and you are brave for continuing to fight every day.

CAPS – Counseling and Psychological Services

CAPS can be found on campus in two locations. One location is the walk-in center on the first floor of LaFarge Student Residence for more urgent concerns. The other is located on the fifth floor of Merion Gardens, where a phone appointment is usually required for the first meeting. At either location, one will meet with a trained professional who will listen and offer advice, coping mechanisms and even medication. CAPS also offers many support groups throughout the year, such as an anxiety and stress relief workshop or a support group for anybody grieving a loss. The main goal of the staff is to help students feel more at ease so they can flourish in college.

Freshman Funk

Freshman Funk is for freshmen who is having trouble with the college transition. This group meets in LaFarge Student Residence on Tuesdays during free period. This workshop serves as a physical reminder that it’s normal to struggle at times, as transitioning into college isn’t easy and there will be other first year students who share this feeling.

R.E.P.P.- Rape Education & Prevention Program

R.E.P.P. has a 24-hour hotline that students can call where all disclosed information is anonymous and confidential. This program provides assistance to those who are affected by sexual assault or the subtypes of abuse, including emotional abuse. Some of the many services R.E.P.P. provides include crisis counseling, support in medical examinations and information about legal action one can take. There should not be any shame or fear associated with calling this helpline; students are allowed to take action if needed.

WADE – Wellness, Alcohol, and Drug Education Program

As part of the Student Outreach and Support program located in room 231 of the Campion Student Center, WADE supports students who may find themselves struggling with alcohol or drug abuse. WADE provides brief individual assessments, group educational classes about the effects of drugs and alcohol and plentiful resources for students in recovery. For these students in recovery, WADE offers resources and programs that can help with academics, focusing on the future and other beneficial opportunities. WADE is a strong believer in the idea of cura personalis, as they will go above and beyond to ensure that they are caring for the whole person.

If anyone is feeling like they are struggling, you are not alone. Everyone deserves the same opportunity to have a great college experience, and the Saint Joseph’s University community will do anything to help achieve this goal.