Decriminalization nation

Why marijuana legislation is saving Philly millions

Four years ago, Colorado and Washington became the first two states to legalize the use of recreational marijuana. Now that Oregon and Alaska have added themselves to that list, there is a growing sense of acceptance for more relaxed marijuana laws around the country.

Many will be relieved to know that this acceptance has now made its way to the City of Brotherly Love. Legislation signed by former Philadelphia mayor Michael Nutter has been in effect since Oct. 20, 2014. This legislation decriminalized the possession of less than 30 grams of marijuana. Understandably, not everyone is fully aware of what exactly the term “decriminalization” means. The author of this bill, then councilman and current mayor, Jim Kenney, explained that being caught with less than 30 grams of marijuana should be dealt with in the same manner as a parking ticket. People in Philadelphia found to be possessing under 30 grams won’t be put in handcuffs and won’t have a criminal record.

This new legislation is expected to cut arrests by 4,000 each year and save the Philadelphia Police Department $4 million each year. A 2015 Research and Development (RAND) study showed that these expectations were met, concluding that Philadelphia saved $4.4 million from Oct. 2014 to Oct. 2015. Philadelphians and law enforcement officials were outspoken in their reactions, particularly Philadelphia resident N.A. Poe, when he spoke to the Philly Voice last year, stating “this progressive move makes Philadelphia a place all of Pennsylvania can be proud of. As soon as Kenney gets warm in his [mayoral] seat, I hope he continues to push the effort forward.”

It seems that Kenney does intend to, telling NBC 10, that, “many young people will be spared the life-altering consequences of a criminal record, such as limited job prospects, inability to obtain student loans or even join the armed services.”

Additionally, the Philadelphia Police Department will no longer be required to waste their time in pursuit of people smoking pot. Officers now can focus on violent crime instead of marijuana arrests. Mayor Kenney added, “Under this policy, police officers will be able to remain focused on more serious offenses.”

This decision is already having effects on the state legislature of Pennsylvania. A recent stroke of the pen by Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf permitted the use of medical marijuana for 17 different conditions. Philadelphia’s relaxed marijuana laws will be especially convenient for those qualifying for medical marijuana.

It is increasingly clear that the stigma attached to marijuana use has run its course in this country. With sensible laws in place, people will no longer smoke pot with the fear of a possible criminal record. For Saint Joseph’s University students, however; there are no plans to follow the lead of the Philadelphia legislation. Students on campus are still required to abide by the Saint Joseph’s University Drug Policy and the use of marijuana remains prohibited on campus.

Still, one must note that relaxed marijuana laws are spreading throughout the country. To date, there are 31 other U.S. cities including New York, Chicago, Miami, and Pittsburgh, that have also decided to decriminalize marijuana.

This legislation marks a big step for Philadelphians who envision a city that accepts pot, rather than rejecting it. Pot enthusiasts should let the legislation’s vision hold them over for the time being, as the road to full legalization can be a long one.