Together they build

Seniors from left to right Alyssa Lamont, Sarah Lathrop and Megan Lynott (Photo courtesy of Rose Barrett ’20).

A young St. Joe’s women’s rugby team looks to build momentum

The St. Joe’s women’s rugby program puts a great deal of value on their team mentality.

“We move as one. The scrum moves all together, as one,” Head Coach Corey Phalen said as he gathered the team together after practice at Curran Field.

It is a phrase commonly used around rugby circles, but for the women’s rugby team it holds a much deeper meaning.

After losing a majority of their squad, the team returned last fall with just four players left on the roster. Captain and lock senior Alyssa Lamont along with senior flyhalf Megan Lynott took it upon themselves to keep the team together.

“We did a lot of recruiting on campus,” Lynott said. “We went to the activities fair and had a lot of girls sign up. Coach Phalen also has a lot of contacts in the Rugby program. So we are working to get younger girls experience and an interest in rugby.”

With an influx of freshmen, the team was up to 18 players by the beginning of the spring season and after a slow start, they came together and won a tournament cup. The freshman class filled a much needed void for the team.

Lynott said they brought an eagerness to learn and a natural athleticism that accelerated the rebuilding process.

“I came here as a freshman never even hearing of rugby before, but I saw the boys’ game and decided to join,” said sophomore scrum half Cierra Weathersby. “I came to the first practice and Corey [Phalen] was so welcoming. He’s very patient and emphasizes learning.”

Phalen, who also coaches Downingtown Rugby, said that he embraces the new talent and appreciates the opportunity to coach a women’s team.

“It’s fun, they learn faster,” Phalen said. “Boys, they never listen. You just say one thing and they go. Girls, they need to know everything step by step until they do something.”

Phalen also gives a lot of credit to the school in aiding women’s rugby, despite its designation as a club team.

“This year they’re getting strength training from the training staff,” Phalen said. “You see ‘club’ and you think they don’t care, but it’s been nothing but support.”

The team has benefited from the men’s club as well. Sophomore scrum half Erin Saggese emphasized how having a successful men’s team to look up to has been a great motivator for them.

Lynott also mentioned the family atmosphere that the girls have formed in their time together.

“We definitely have a close bond as team,” Lynott said. “We see each other everyday, we practice together, watch film together, so that bond is definitely there.”

In addition to Lamont, Saggese credits flyhalf Lynott and senior hooker Sarah Lathrop for leading the team in practices.

“We’re looking to do well in the regular season and after that, hopefully, the playoffs,” Phalen said.