Building family tradition

Daly makes an aggressive play on the ball at midfield (Photo courtesy of Archbishop John Carroll High School).

Keri Daly verbally commits to St. Joe’s field hockey

By verbally committing to the St. Joe’s field hockey program, Archbishop Carroll senior back Keri Daly bleeds the motto “the hawk will never die,” she becomes the next Hawk in a long lineage.

Daly is the granddaughter of former men’s basketball coach and player Jim Boyle ’64, the daughter of Brian Daly ’92, who played basketball at St. Joe’s and the sister of recent men’s basketball addition, junior Guard Ryan Daly.

Daly said coming to St. Joe’s almost felt inevitable.

“I always thought I’d end up at St. Joe’s,” Daly said. “With the amount of family members who have gone here, it’s always felt like home and I’m happy it worked out how it did.”

Daly, who also plays lacrosse for her high school, recently chose to focus solely on field hockey.

“She is just a natural born athlete,” said Christina Elisio Archbishop Carroll field hockey Head Coach “In my mind, Keri can play out on any field. Watching her start as a freshman and grow through her years, there was no doubt in my mind what she had and she could play at a high level.”

Daly will certainly experience that high level of play, as she’s joining a field hockey program that is the reigning Atlantic 10 champions and is currently ranked 12th in the country. Elisio knows Daly’s game best and is confident that she will be ready to contribute.

“She’s a leader on the field and great teammate and person off the field,” Elisio said. “Anything she puts her mind to she has the potential to accomplish. As far as the transition goes, athletically she’s the type of player that will be ready to compete.”

Daly said her family ties aren’t something that should be underestimated.

“I think having my brother there is something that will really help,” Daly said. “It will just make that transition to college life more comfortable for me.”

Daly is a midfielder who has played at the varsity level for four years. Last year, she was named to the first team All Catholic League as well as being named an All Main Line honorable mention. She wants to continue this success at St. Joe’s.

“I’m excited to get there and contribute any way I can,” Daly said. “I’m going to bring a positive attitude and just do whatever the coaches ask of me.”

Elisio said that this attitude is one of the keys to the success that Daly has had at the high school level.

“She’s amazing on the field,” Elsio said. “She has this personality that her teammates are attracted to. Anything that we need, Keri can do.”

Daly said she’s looking forward to the challenge of living up to the strong athletic reputation her name bears and making her own mark on Hawk Hill.

“It definitely means a lot to have so many family ties to St. Joe’s,” Daly said. “It feels like it’s my turn now. I’m looking forward to finally going and I’m excited to continue my field hockey career there.”