The CDs in my parents’ car

Graohic by Kelly Smith 19
Graohic by Kelly Smith ’19

I’m a self-proclaimed old soul, and that is completely the fault of my parents. A lot of my musical education was relegated to the CDs in my parents’ cars. A major contribution to this musical education was funk music, a hugely underrated musical genre.

Here is my nostalgia playlist in honor of the times your parents wouldn’t let you touch the radio dial:

“Express Yourself” by Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band (1970)

Funk, as a musical form, was built upon and informed by other genres. “Express Yourself,” as a soul song and an early precursor to straight funk jams, utilizes horns and establishes an easily danceable beat. You can really feel the soul influence that plays an important role in later funk music.   

“Fire” by Ohio Players (1974)

“Fire” is an absolute funk jam. In the first 30 seconds, it is a song that asserts itself. The break in the middle of the song, a bombastic moment of guitar riffs and percussion, is as intense and scorching as the title denotes. The guitar takes on a percussive role, meddling with the drums to create a funky juggernaut of a song.   

“Baby Love” by Mother’s Finest (1977)

Mother’s Finest is the coolest funk rock group to ever exist. The strength of Joyce Kennedy’s voice battles in some ways the punctuating drum beat and bassline. The traditional funk elements are elevated by gospel-like delivery of vocals by Kennedy and the call and response with her background singers. “Baby Love” doesn’t only have one of the strongest funk beats, it also exposes the hybridity of funk music to pull from other genres of black music easily and effortlessly.

“Get the Funk Out Ma Face” by The Brothers Johnson (1976)

“Get the Funk Out Ma Face” is a song that stays in its pocket. The drums, the bass and the guitar provide this unceasingly low groove and reverberate in your ears. “Get the Funk Out Ma Face” is exemplary in the chicken scratch style of picking that is synonymous with funk music.     

“Flash Light” by Parliament (1978)

Parliament, the brainchild of the godfather of funk himself, George Clinton, are probably one of the most musically eccentric groups I’ve ever encountered. An Afrofuturist dream, “Flash Light” has a bass-heavy, synthy beat with a chorus that anyone can sing along to. The call and response aspect of “Flash Light” requires you to pay attention and feel the funk.

“One Nation Under a Groove” by Funkadelic (1978)

“One Nation Under a Groove” is probably one of the most recognizable funk songs  and is a testament to the accessibility of funk music. The beat stays deep, rarely changing. The bassline and drum beat are established early and stay consistent. The harmonies are beautiful and simply fun.

“Fantastic Voyage” by Lakeside (1980)

“Fantastic Voyage” is a funky R&B song that encapsulates the true musical adaptability that funk music displays. The bass is distinctly funk influenced. The guitar plays that percussive role floating between the electric bass and the punctuating hi-hats and snares.

Listen to these songs and more by following this link.