An event from the heart, for the heart

SJU Improv did a skit involving Alpha Phi’s greek letters. PHOTO: Mitchell Shields ’22

The Cardinal Foley Campus Center was full of laughter on  Oct. 3 as St. Joe’s sorority, Alpha Phi, hosted their annual “Laugh Your Heart Out” improv show. Alpha Phi and SJU Improv partnered together for another year of not only comedy, but also raising awareness for women’s cardiac care.

According to the Alpha Phi Foundation, “advancing women’s lives through the power of philanthropy” is their mission. One of the key pillars is the improvement of women’s heart health. During the Laugh Your Heart Out event, Alpha Phi raised money and awareness for women’s cardiac care in support of this mission. 

Carly Clemente ’21, a member of  Alpha Phi, said she was thrilled to have SJU Improv collaborate with Alpha Phi for another year.

“It’s always so fun and entertaining to have them come out and support our cause with us,” Clemente said.

Lucy Higgins ’20, a member of SJU Improv, performs.

The show began with a game where the SJU Improv members had to create poems made from a word the audience shouted out. The performers came up with a poem on the spot. 

The audience continued to laugh as the improv members moved to the next game called, “Props.” In this game, the participating members had to not only set the scene using a word from the audience, but to use the large letters of Alpha Phi as their props to tell the stories. 

Clemente expressed that this game was by far her favorite game the SJU Improv members performed.

“I liked the game they played using our Alpha Phi letters the best because it was fast paced and really funny,” Clemente said.

Along with games like these, there was  a Q & A activity, where members were asked a question given by an audience member and they had to answer it with the persona of a made up character. The characters included a young girl from north New Jersey with a strong accent, a highly nervous teenager with stage fright and a “cool mom” named Leslie. 

Chelsea Smith ’20, SJU Improv member, expressed what a privilege it is to be performing for an audience to support a great cause.

“Anytime we get people to laugh is a success,” Smith said. “We are happy to help out.”

Alpha Phi set up a table to promote their Red Dress Gala, the sorority’s other major philanthropy event.

Sophia Terry  ’20, a member of Alpha Phi and vice president of community relations, worked long hours for the show to take place. 

Her responsibilities included booking the venue, making sure the sisters could attend, confirming with SJU Improv, handing out flyers and cooking the hot dogs While this was challenging, Terry said it was all worth it to support an important cause.

The Laugh Your Heart Out improv show is not the only event Alpha Phi holds to raise awareness and support for this foundation. 

“Our Red Dress Gala is coming up in November,” Terry said. “We host more events and fundraise. In the Spring, we have “‘ Alpha Phifa. ’” 

Alpha Phifa is a soccer tournament hosted by the sisters of Alpha Phi.

The members of Alpha Phi encourage students to support and raise awareness for women’s cardiac care.

To learn more, visit the following website: LYHO.givesmart.com.