'A voice for the voiceless'
Kiley O’Brien ’25, Assistant Features Editor • July 18, 2024
Fit to be king
Lilli Dellheim '25 M.A., Special to the Hawk • July 13, 2024

Arrivederci! Toodle-loo! Ciao!

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

As we approach the end of the academic year, it is time to start saying your goodbyes. People all across campus are getting ready to say farewell to far-away friends, favorite professors or graduating seniors. For The Hawk’s final issue of the semester, here are six songs about saying goodbye. 

“Good Bye” – Victoria Monét

Slowly gaining speed in the music industry, Grammy-winning artist Victoria Monét has been leaving her mark with her debut studio album “Jaguar II.” As the closing song of this release, “Good Bye” is an emotional R&B piece all about saying a nice farewell to something good. Loaded with serene melodies and soulful vocals, this song works wonders for processing any emotions you have when saying goodbye. 

“Goodbye Stranger” – Supertramp

Parodied on the TV show “The Office,” “Goodbye Stranger” is an iconic piece for anyone who is a little too excited to see someone leave. This retro song pulls inspiration from folk, rock and pop, which can appeal to almost any music listener. So, whether you are saying goodbye to someone you barely know or a co-worker you absolutely hate, try sending them off with this old-fashioned hit.  

“Too Good to Say Goodbye” – Bruno Mars

Known for his smooth slow jams, Bruno Mars strikes gold again with “Too Good to Say Goodbye.” Aiming to reignite a romance, Mars loads this song with luxurious instrumentals and soulful melodies. If grand gestures are your thing, this song will be perfect for your larger-than-life farewell plans.      

“Never Can Say Goodbye” – Gloria Gaynor

A cover of a Jackson 5 song, Gloria Gaynor’s “Never Can Say Goodbye” was a chart-topping soul hit. Reimagining this single as a disco record, this song became a defining piece of the 70s disco era. This song is a great choice for anyone struggling with making peace with their upcoming goodbyes. 

“Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” – Elton John

The ultimate song about saying goodbye, Elton John’s classic “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” is an epic ballad about going home. An emotional glam-rock song, this song tells the tale of wanting to leave a life of glitz and glamor for a simple one. As many students, especially seniors, begin saying their goodbyes to their home away from home, this song could not be more relatable.