How about a Super Bowl sundae?

Graphic by Kaitlyn Patterson 20.
Graphic by Kaitlyn Patterson ’20.

Alternative activities for those who will not be watching the big game

On Feb. 5, more than half of Americans will put on their jerseys, gather with friends and family around the television, and watch sweaty men tackle, yell, and prance around a field, all with a fixation on one thing: the football. Now, if you’re anything like me, the only semi-exciting aspects of the annual Super Bowl are the drunken fights that ensue between fans of opposing teams, and of course, the commercials.

If, like me, you are one of the few people who will not be tuning in to watch this year’s game and are worried you’ll end up alone and bored with no alternative but homework, or even worse, tagging along with your friends and suffering through the game, then you’ve come to the right place.

You need to know that you’re not alone in your disinterest in football. While most of the Saint Joseph’s University campus may be gathering for a viewing party somewhere, take this opportunity to come together in the unoccupied common room and have a movie night or a TV marathon.

For dog lovers, Animal Planet’s annual Puppy Bowl starts at 3 p.m. on Super Bowl Sunday. Why watch football when you can watch hours of puppies on live television? Plus, Netflix has recently restocked and added some great titles that will cater to all members of your friend group.

Perhaps you partied the night before or just have 8 a.m. classes all week, so take advantage of this time to nap! You’re a college student, so chances are you don’t get enough sleep as it is. Or, take this opportunity to take a nice long shower, pamper yourself, and jump into bed a little earlier than usual. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did when your classes Monday morning are full of post-Super Bowl celebrators and/or mourners. Get ready to snag all the participation points in your classes all day, you’ll thank yourself later.

In the mood for something more hands-on? Have a game night. A good old-fashioned game of Monopoly or Scrabble (or a few rounds of the ever-popular Cards Against Humanity) with a group of friends is never a dull time. However, take caution, because even the angriest of football fans cannot compete with someone who doesn’t receive the $200 within 30 seconds of passing “Go.”

If you don’t feel like staying in, head out to a movie or get a bite to eat. Since most of the population will be tuned into the biggest game of the year, the streets will be less crowded. This means no traffic, nearly empty movie theaters, and no wait times at restaurants. Super Bowl Sunday is the perfect night to go out – just make sure it’s not Buffalo Wild Wings.

Since the big game and the festivities that follow will go on for a few hours, you could also take this opportunity to exercise. Super Bowl Sunday is the ideal time to go to the gym if you’re not a fan of heaving on the treadmill next to strangers. There’s no need to impress anyone, so you can go at your own pace, and proceed to walk to the shower without fear that someone you know will see you all red-faced and sweaty. Let the fact that everyone else is chowing down on the staple foods at Super Bowl parties, like wings and cheese puffs, be your motivation.

If you find yourself running out of options, a last resort could be studying, but let’s be honest, watching the Super Bowl would probably be more exciting than reading a chapter of your textbook. Unless you have a major test that Monday, in which case, forget about everything you just read and go study.