Philly rallies for Ukraine

Natalie Yaworsky Lamley (left) and her cousin Daria Heletkanycz (center) show their support for Ukraine at a Feb. 25 rally at City Hall. Both of their parents are from Ukraine. PHOTOS: MITCHELL SHIELDS ’22/THE HAWK

Hundreds of Ukrainian Americans and supporters gathered over the weekend in solidarity with Ukraine. On Feb. 25, the Honorary Consulate of Ukraine in Philadelphia organized a rally outside of City Hall. On Feb. 27, over three hundred supporters gathered on the lawn at Independence Mall. After listening to speakers, demonstrators marched around the mall and ended with a prayer service hosted by local Ukrainian religious leaders.

Sofia Sulligan ’10 attended the Feb. 27 demonstration at Independence Mall with her mother, Ulana Zmurkewycz, visiting instructor and Spanish language program co-ordinator for the Modern and Classical Languages department. Sulligan said it’s important for people to rally and donate to support those in Ukraine.

“The people of Ukraine are showing their true strength,” Sulliganmsaid. “Ukrainians are working so hard, and I’m so proud of them.”