Picking off the new season

GRAPHIC: CASEY WOOD ’23/THE HAWK

Previewing the best games on the NFL schedule in Week One

On Sept. 8, football will officially be back as, for the first time in 208 days, a meaningful National Football League (NFL) game will be played. After one of the wildest offseasons ever that consisted of several trades, signings and more, fans are excited to kick off the regular season. It is worth taking a brief look at five of the best games from this week’s slate, and who will win them.

Buffalo Bills @ Los Angeles Rams (Sept. 8, 8:20 p.m.)

In the 2022 NFL season opener, the defending champion Los Angeles Rams will host one of the heavy preseason Super Bowl favorites in quarterback Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills. The biggest storyline entering this matchup is edge rusher Von Miller’s return to the City of Angels. Miller signed with the Bills in the offseason after playing a huge role in the Rams’ run to Super Bowl LVI, racking up a stunning 10.5 sacks in four playoff games. Expectations are high in Buffalo after adding Miller to what was already the league’s best defense in 2021. However, the Bills could struggle in this game, as they will be without star cornerback Tre’Davious White for at least their first four games due to an ACL tear late last season. The Rams will look to exploit this with the league’s best receiver, Cooper Kupp. The Rams will win 28-24 in a competitive affair to kick off the year.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Detroit Lions (Sept. 11, 1:00 p.m.)

The Eagles will open their season in Detroit against the Lions. After a strong offseason, Philadelphia will have to battle with the reigning division champions the Dallas Cowboys to win the NFC East. Although there are still questions surrounding quarterback Jalen Hurts as a passer, he should not have too much trouble with a Lions defense that was among the NFL’s worst in 2021. Detroit drafted a potential star in defensive end Aidan Hutchinson second overall in the 2022 NFL Draft, but he can only be asked to do so much. The Eagles will handle the Lions with relative ease in a 31-14 win. 

Kansas City Chiefs @ Arizona Cardinals (Sept. 11, 4:25 p.m.)

The Kansas City Chiefs will start their season on the road against quarterback Kyler Murray and the Arizona Cardinals. Both teams have suffered losses at wide receiver. The Chiefs traded away star receiver Tyreek Hill to the Miami Dolphins, and Arizona lost DeAndre Hopkins for six games due to a suspension. Luckily for the Chiefs, they have one of the best players in all of football in quarterback Patrick Mahomes, and should be able to continue on as one of the league’s best offenses. This game has the potential to be a fun, high scoring affair, and the Chiefs thrive in those games. Kansas City will win 38-35.

Las Vegas Raiders @ Los Angeles Chargers (Sept. 11, 4:25 p.m.)

The Raiders made one of the biggest splashes of the 2022 NFL offseason, landing star receiver Devante Adams from Green Bay via trade. Adams and Raiders quarterback Derek Carr are reunited in Sin City, after playing their college football together at Fresno State. Their first game comes against a Chargers team that disappointed many last season when they failed to make the playoffs. The Chargers reloaded by adding edge rusher Khalil Mack and cornerback J.C. Jackson on defense to bolster an already talented roster. A loaded Chargers offense led by third-year quarterback Justin Herbert should be able to pick apart a mediocre Raiders defense in a 31-21 win.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Dallas Cowboys (Sept. 11, 8:20 p.m.)

The 2021 NFL season kicked off with a matchup between these two teams, and they will battle again in Week One of the 2022 campaign. Both of these teams won their divisions in 2021 and followed that with disappointing ends to their seasons as well. Both teams are still talented, but the Cowboys traded away their top receiver in Amari Cooper, and let defensive end Randy Gregory sign with the Denver Broncos after appearing to have signed him. The Buccaneers only lost tight end Rob Gronkowski to retirement and nearly lost quarterback Tom Brady to retirement as well. Tampa Bay should be able to handle a Cowboys team that has a few question marks entering 2022; the Buccaneers will win 28-20 over Dallas.