Program trains students to teach English abroad

PHOTO COURTESY GRACE SCHAIRER ’22

Across the world, demand for English language instructors is steadily increasing each year, especially for instructors whose native language is English. A certification in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) may be a possible next step for students considering studying abroad or for those graduating soon who may not want to launch into a career right away, allowing them to travel to another country to teach English to people of all ages.

The International TEFL Academy (ITA) is one of many organizations that helps people become TEFL certified and find a job abroad where they can put those skills to use. Getting a TEFL certification makes teaching opportunities available in up to 50 countries worldwide, each providing unique experiences, according to John Bentley, co-founder and senior marketer of ITA.

“English is really the international language of commerce, culture, tourism and many other fields,” Bentley said. “Around the world, people need and want English to enhance their personal, educational and professional opportunities.”

To acquire a TEFL certification, ITA offers two options. There is a four-week, full-time class, which can be taken online or in person in either Chicago or New York City. Additionally, there is  an 11-week, part-time class, which is only online and is “designed to accommodate people who are working or going to school full time,” Bentley said.

Some of the locations that are most popular or becoming very popular for students from ITA are South Korea, Spain, the Czech Republic and Mexico, while more underrated locations include Colombia, Turkey, Cambodia and Tunisia, according to Bentley.

“One thing I love about working at International TEFL Academy is being able to talk and write about all these fantastic locations where people can go and have a great experience,” Bentley said. “And we really put a lot of emphasis on educating people about their options.”

Grace Schairer ’22 is currently getting her TEFL certification while simultaneously teaching English as an English conversation assistant in Catalonia, Spain. Schairer said she decided to pursue a TEFL certification after she studied abroad in 2020 and was cut short due to the covid-19 pandemic.

“I had been studying in Madrid in Spain, and I knew I wanted to, at some point, come back to Spain,” Schairer said. “I also knew I didn’t want to go straight into a career. I wanted to take some time to figure out what it was that I wanted to do for the rest of my life, take a break from the chemistry part of my life, because that was my primary major, and practice my Spanish.”

After studying abroad in Paris in fall 2021, Claire Dragwa ’23 decided she wants to teach English abroad in either Luxembourg or France after she graduates in the spring. No matter where she ends up, she is looking forward to learning more about the culture and the lives of the people she will meet and teach there.

“I so badly wanted to connect with natives while I was [in Paris],” Dragwa said. “If I can do that for the Luxembourgish students or the French students that I will be in contact with, then I think that’s great, just to be able to share American culture with them and debunk any stereotypes potentially about the American culture too. It’s not only cultural exchange, but language exchange as well.”

Schairer expressed a similar appreciation for getting to know her host family as well as the people and culture of the community. Schairer began teaching on Oct. 3 and said she loves the variety in her week, teaching students anywhere from three to 18 years old.

“It’s been really great,” Schairer said. “I love it. My days are so full, and it’s wonderful.”