Drinks on me

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

No matter what the scene, the most memorable nights out always include good music, friends and drinks. Whether you tend to enjoy the classics or like to try something new, there are many options to choose from for your drink of choice. Here are six songs featuring some of our favorite beverages, from simple sodas to fancy cocktails.

“Scotch & Soda” – Lou Rawls

Some people prefer to stick to the classics when it comes to their favorite drinks, such as an old-fashioned scotch and soda. A cover of the 1958 folk tune by The Kingston Trio, this version of “Scotch & Soda” employs a big band for a full jazz sound. With a flourish of xylophone, this song is perfect for a night out to your favorite underground jazz club.

“Sweet Tea” – Snoh Aalegra

Popular in the summertime, sweet tea is a drink that can be enjoyed in any casual and congenial atmosphere. Known for her R&B hits, one of Aalegra’s most recent 2023 singles, “Sweet Tea,” plays with a softer sound to create a piece reminiscent of a 1980s piano ballad. This beautifully serene tune is great for anyone searching for comfort from the person they love at the end of a long day.

“Cold Gin” – KISS

Many would argue that hard rock and hard liquor go hand in hand. Appearing on their debut album, “Cold Gin” is a popular hit among KISS fans despite its melancholy message. This classic rock hit is an ideal listen for anyone who enjoys indulging in the rockstar lifestyle for their night on the town.

“Cherry Cola” – Kuwada

Sometimes the amount of drink choices available can become overwhelming, and your preferred drink is totally dependent on your mood. For Kuwada, cherry cola is the best drink for him. “Cherry Cola” is a mellow indie tune that compares his lover’s personality to the sweet and bubbly soft drink. If you have a sweet tooth, this song — and drink — is the perfect choice for you.

“I Drink Wine” – Adele

While some days are perfect for going out on the town, others are designated for reflecting on your life decisions. A piano ballad filled with gospel chords, “I Drink Wine” is loaded with emotion and focuses on life lessons about letting go of one’s ego. Shortened from 15 minutes to six, this song is the perfect amount of time to mull over your life choices like you were in an Adele music video.

“Mai Tais” – Train feat. Skylar Grey

Going on vacation comes with plenty of rest and recreation, and what better way is there to unwind than with your favorite fruity cocktail or mocktail? “Mai Tais” is a tropical tune that concentrates on forgetting all of your troubles and instead focuses on the beach. This tune’s relaxing melody is ideal for anyone who would prefer to have a drink sporting a small umbrella in their hand right now.