Countdown to Halloween

The Glow festival spreads throughout Fairmount Park (Photo by Emily Graham ’20).

Ways to celebrate the spooky season

With Halloween a week away, time to partake in seasonal activities is fleeting. However, there are still plenty of festivities coming up in anticipation of the holiday.

Here are a few ways to embrace the spooky season.

Terror Behind the Walls

Eastern State Penitentiary’s infamous Terror Behind the Walls event is a Halloween staple in Philadelphia.

While the prison-turned-museum is open year round, Eastern State Penitentiary takes it haunted attraction to the next level during the Halloween season.

Visitors can decide what level of immersion they wish to experience depending on how open they are to interacting with the actors.

Prices for general admission tickets vary by day, with weekday tickets costing between $20 and $30 and Saturday tickets $45. Tickets provide entry into all of the six themed attractions inside the prison.

Terror Behind the Walls runs through Nov. 10, so there is plenty of time left to brave this unique experience.

The Bates Motel

If you have already been to Terror Behind the Walls, The Bates Motel is another immersive haunted attraction.

The Bates Motel promises “up close and personal” experiences as visitors explore the haunted house, which includes professional actors and animatronics to make it feel real.

In addition to the Bates Motel, the Arasapha Farm also offers a haunted hayride and the Revenge of the Scarecrows corn trail.

The Bates Motel and corn maze cost $15 each for admission, while the haunted hayride costs $20. To visit all three attractions, a combination ticket costs $40.

These attractions will be open through Oct. 31. The Arasapha Farm is located in Glen Mills, Pa., around a half hour from St. Joe’s.

Halloween movies at the Piazza

For those looking for less interactive Halloween fun, watching seasonal movies is a perfect alternative.

The Schmidt’s Commons in the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia is having several outdoor screenings in the Piazza leading up to Halloween.

The showings will include “Hocus Pocus” on Oct. 27, “Ghostbusters” on Oct. 28, “Night of the Living Dead” on Oct. 29, “It” on Oct. 30 and “Halloween” on Oct. 31.

Entry to the movie screenings is free of cost and comes with complimentary popcorn. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own chairs for a comfortable viewing experience.

The Glow: A Jack O’Lantern Experience

A true celebration of Halloween, The Glow festival honors the art of carving pumpkins.

Five thousand uniquely carved pumpkins line a trail in different themed arrangements, all of which are lit up to make the intricate designs visible at night.

In addition to viewing the pumpkin display, visitors can eat at food trucks and purchase souvenirs, including uncarved pumpkins.

Prices vary based on day and time, ranging from $15 to $30. Tickets are sold at 30 minute intervals, but patrons can stay as long as they want after their designated time.

The Glow event takes place in West Fairmount Park, conveniently located in West Philadelphia under 10 minutes from campus. It runs until Oct. 28.

These events and more provide plenty of opportunities to count down to the upcoming holiday.