Top Hawk Stories

Taylor Stokes ’22 takes notes at the small group discussions about a student action plan. PHOTO: LUKE MALANGA ’20/THE HAWK

This list is based off of hit statistics for sjuhawknews.com. Ten most-read stories on sjuhawknews.com for fall 2018 and spring 2019.

1.  Racial slur left on students’ dorm room door (Nov. 28, 2018)

A white male student rearranged the letters on the felt board on the dorm room door of two African-American residents to spell a racial slur.

2.  Black students detail racism at St. Joe’s (Dec. 5, 2018)

Prompted by the Sept. 28 racial slur incident, more than 350 students, faculty and alumni gathered in the North Doyle Banquet hall on Dec. 3, 2018 to discuss racism on campus.

3.  “Sucker punch” (March 27, 2019)

Phil Martelli was fired after serving 24 years as the head coach of the St. Joe’s men’s basketball team.

Martelli speaks to his players during the first practice of the 2017-2018 season. PHOTO: LUKE MALANGA ’20/THE HAWK

4.  St. Joe’s handling of racial slur called ‘bullshit’ (Dec. 5, 2018)

Two months after a white student rearranged letters on the felt board on their dorm room door to spell a racial slur, the two black female students said they were disappointed with how the university handled the incident.

5.  HawkFest downsizing met with disappointment (Sept. 26, 2018)

More than 3,000 people attended the eighth annual HawkFest event. Alumni and current students said they were disappointed with changes made to this annual tradition.

6.  Sit in leads to meeting with University President Mark C. Reed (Dec. 7, 2018)

St. Joe’s students held a silent sit-in Dec. 7, 2018, by occupying the lobby of the fifth floor of McShain Residence Center during a Board of Trustees meeting down the hall. Students said they were protesting the university’s lacking response to racism on campus. 

Jack McCaul ’22 participates in the sit-in. PHOTO: LUKE MALANGA ’20/THE HAWK

7.  Spring Concert fund revived (Sept. 19, 2018)

The University Student Senate restored funding for the 2019 Spring Concert, which had been canceled in summer 2018 as part of cuts to the Student Budget Allocations Committee (SBAC).

8. “Racial bias” incidents reported in dorms again (April 17, 2019)

Two more “racial bias” incidents were reported in first year residence halls. Both incidents involved the use of the N-word by white students against black students.

9. Student Senate and Black Student Union meet to address campus racism (Dec. 10, 2018)

At least 120 students, faculty and staff members attended a Dec.10 meeting of the University Student Senate (USS) and the Black Student Union (BSU) to generate ideas for a student action plan to address racism on campus.

10. Jill Bodensteiner on the search for new head coach (April 3, 2018)

Athletics Director Bodensteiner spoke to The Hawk about the search process for a new head coach after the March 18 firing of former Head Coach Phil Martelli.

Director of Athletics Jill Bodensteiner at the March 19 press conference regarding Phil Martelli’s firing. PHOTO: MITCHELL SHIELDS ’22/THE HAWK