Anderson excels in transition to college lacrosse

For redshirt freshman attackman Levi Anderson, the opportunity to contribute to the St. Joe’s men’s lacrosse team has been a long time coming. Anderson, who tallied four goals and one assist in a 15-8 victory against St. Bonaventure University on Feb. 9, earned Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week honors.

“I’m very excited,” Anderson said. “I’ve worked a long time for this, and I’ve waited a long time for this. When we first went to the game, there were a bit of nerves going in, but after we got our heels under us, it just came naturally.”

This game marked Anderson’s first as a Hawk. He redshirted the 2019 season in part to allow him time to adjust from box lacrosse, an indoor version of lacrosse, which he played during his youth career in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, to field lacrosse.

“I fell in love with box lacrosse,” said Anderson, who in 2019 won the Minto Cup, a national championship box lacrosse series in Canada, with the Okotoks Raiders. “All the skills I’ve acquired there, I’ve been bringing over to the field game, and it has been coming along.”

Head Coach Taylor Wray believes the redshirt year was valuable for Ander- son’s development.

“The biggest thing has been his comfort level,” Wray said when asked about Anderson’s development from his redshirt season to now.

Anderson’s box lacrosse roots are evident in his tenacious and physical play style. While his frame and athleticism enable him to seemingly overpower any defender in a one-on-one situation, he said he prides himself on sharing the ball and playing a team game.

“I’m very aggressive, I like to work off the ball to find lanes,” Anderson said. “I’m most comfortable when I’m backing down my defender, drawing a double team, moving the ball and creating offense.”

Junior Matt Tufano, who plays alongside Anderson on the Hawks’ attack, offered his own assessment of Anderson.

“He’s a force to be reckoned with,” Tu- fano said. “He’s 6-foot-4 and a big lefty. You don’t want to get in his way. He’s a dominant player on the field consistently.”

Anderson said his favorite part of the team is the competitive nature of practices. Though the players compete for playing time, he noted that they remain team-oriented as they pursue a common goal.

“My favorite thing is the competitiveness,” Anderson said. “Having a bunch of guys working for a common goal at the same time while trying to take each other’s spot. It allows for a really good atmosphere.”

Polite and personable off the field, Anderson is described by teammates and coach- es alike as high-energy. Wray noted Anderson’s passion and praised his work ethic.

“Levi is vibrant, high energy and upbeat,” Anderson said. “He brings it every day.”

Redshirt freshman attackman Levi Anderson won two MVP awards at the Minto Cup.

Tufano also commended Anderson’s energy and said Anderson is extremely supportive of his teammates.

“The keyword is energy” Tufano said.

“He’s the loudest kid at practice day in and day out. He’s the team’s best friend. When you score a goal, he gets happier than the player that scores.”