Changing of the seasons playlist

Changing of the seasons playlist

The world around us is changing. Not only are the hot days of summer being replaced by the chilly nights of fall, we are entering a time of extreme social and political change. While change is a big adjustment, this playlist will help make the transition a little bit smoother. 

“Changing of the Seasons” by Two Door Cinema Club 

This song perfectly captures all of the feelings of entering a new time of year. These are the same feelings that come with entering a new era of change. It might be scary, and part of you might want to hold on to the past. This song makes you realize all the reasons why it’s important to keep moving forward despite the pain you might go through to get there. The mix of electric beats and lyrics help you to realize why change in all forms is good. 

“Campus” by Vampire Weekend 

All the feelings you have about being at school this year are captured in this song. It goes through the feelings of repetition and how limiting it can feel, especially if there is something a little unsettling about being on campus. By listening to it, you will realize you are not alone in any of the uncertainty of going to class each day. 

“Sweater Weather” by The Neighbourhood

Recently, this song has come to be an anthem for the bisexual community. It is a smooth and somewhat chilling song that will make you want to pull out your thickest and coziest sweater. While you listen, remember all of those in the LGBTQIA+ community as we move through October, which is LGBT History Month.

“Time To Pretend” by MGMT

A lot of us can relate to this song because waking up “feeling rough” and “feeling raw” is all too real. This can make us want to pretend: pretend summer is not over, pretend school is not overwhelming, pretend the world does not need change. However, by listening to it, you will realize “We’ve got the vision, now let’s have some fun.” Pretending will only get us so far. We have to put our ideas into action and focus on what we can do.

“Something New” by Axwell /\ Ingrosso

This electric beat will make you want to get out the door and start your day. It emphasizes how all of us “belong to something new.” We are meant to go and make a difference in the world. It is a song that will fill you with excitement for the future. After listening, go about your day and listen for “the streets of tomorrow calling.” 

“Golden Hour” by Kacey Musgraves

While fall means the inevitable onset of winter, we must recognize the beauty that comes with the transition. One of the best parts of fall is watching the leaves change colors. Even though the leaves will eventually fall, it is important to pay attention to the beauty that is there now, appreciating the present and leaving worry for the future elsewhere. This song reminds us that even on the darkest of days, there will be light at the end of the tunnel.