Resources to support the fight for racial justice in Philly

In the aftermath of the recent killing of Walter Wallace Jr. by the Philadelphia police department and subsequent pro-tests, The Hawk compiled a list of donation-based resources in Philadelphia, and education-based resources to utilize in the fight for racial justice.

These resources provide opportunities for active support for The Movement For Black Lives and the Black community in Philadelphia.

The Hawk stands in solidarity with the Black community during this time and encourages the St. Joe’s community to do the same.

Where to donate

“People’s Emergency Center” – This organization is based in West Philadelphia, and aims to uplift and drive change for children and families in the area, particularly those experiencing homelessness.

“Philadelphia Community Bail Fund” – This organization accepts donations in order to post bail for Philadelphia community members who are unable to pay their own.

“Philadelphia Lawyers for Social Equity” (PLSE) – PLSE helps those who have faced social injustice in the criminal justice system, offering free representation and legal advice.

“Black Lives Matter Philadelphia Chapter” – Black Lives Matter (BLM) Philly is the local branch of BLM, and fights for self determination and liberation of Black communities in the area.

“Philadelphia Black Giving Circle” – This organization contributes monetary resources to various nonprofits and projects that support the Black community in Philadelphia.

Who to contact

*Call, email or reach out via Twitter to these representatives and demand change to the criminal justice and policing systems in Philadelphia:

Philadelphia Mayor, Jim Kenney
(215) 686-2181
@PhillyMayor

Police Commissioner, Danielle Outlaw
(215) 686-3280
@PhiladelphiaGov

U.S. Congressman Dwight Evans
3rd district Representative
District office: (215) 276-0340
@RepDwightEvans

U.S. Congressman Brendan Boyle
2nd district Representative
District office: (215) 744-7901
@RepBrendanBoyle

To contact representatives in other areas of Pennsylvania, use this link to find Pennsylvania state legislators. 

Where to learn

“The African American Policy Forum (AAPF)” – The AAPF is a think tank aiming to dismantle structural racism and inequality in the U.S., with a specific campaign addressing intersectionality, #SayHerName. We recommend donating to the AAPF, reading their publications, keeping up to date with their blog and following AAPF activists on social media.
A few AAPF leaders to follow on Twitter:

Kimberlé Crenshaw: @sandylocks  

Shermena M. Nelson: @MenasWorld

Kevin Minofu: @SKevinM

What to read

Educators from Harvard University shared some of the most influential books they have read about “systemic racism, white privilege and the long legacies of slavery and white supremacy in American history.” Read the full list from Harvard educators in “A reading list on issues of race.

If you would like to purchase any of these books, or other literature The Hawk compiled to help you be actively anti-racist, get your literature from Black-owned bookstores in the Philadelphia area.

What to watch

Documentaries, films and shows about racism in the U.S. are easily accessible tools to expand your knowledge of systemic injustices. Here are a few recommended shows, documentaries and movies to watch. If you have a subscription to Netflix, the streaming platform has created a category dedicated to Black Lives Matter as well.

Where to shop

Racism and systemic injustice are present in all areas of life, and racial economic inequality contributes to growing disparities between communities in Philadelphia. Here is a list of recommended Black-owned shops and boutiques to shop at in Philadelphia. For a full list of over 300 Black owned businesses in the area, check out this comprehensive list from Philadelphia Magazine to get you started