Where to donate for Women’s History Month

ILLUSTRATION: CASEY WOOD ’23

March marks the celebration of Women’s History Month. To commemorate the month, The Hawk has compiled a list of organizations to support that uplift women. 

The Foundation for Black Women’s Wellness: This Milwaukee-based nonprofit’s mission is to “eliminate health disparities and other barriers impacting the lives of women and girls of African descent.” The organization empowers Black women in health leadership and raises awareness for Black women’s health as a public health priority.

I’m FREE: I’m FREE is a nonprofit organization that serves incarcerated and formerly incarcerated women in the Philadelphia area. It provides training, workshops and support for women. 

Women’s Law Project: Founded in 1974, the Women’s Law Project uses litigation, advocacy and education to advance the rights of women and girls in Pennsylvania. Some of their current areas of focus include legal status, mental and physical health, economic security and LGBTQIA+ rights.

Malala Fund: Started by Malala Yousafzai, the Malala Fund focuses on providing all girls with access to “12 years of free, safe, quality education.” The Malala Fund network is currently prioritizing operations in Afghanistan, Brazil, Ethiopia, India, Lebanon, Nigeria, Pakistan and Turkey.

National Coalition Against Domestic Violence: Aimed at addressing the racist, sexist, classist and patriarchal roots of domestic violence, this national organization supports domestic violence survivors by advocating for “holding offenders accountable and supporting advocates.”

Running Start: This organization is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that trains women to run for political office. Running Start has over 100 programs nationwide and has trained over 20,000 women.