A selection of local woman-owned businesses to support

PHOTO: LUKAS VAN SANT ’21/THE HAWK
Salon A’Marie
5261 Ridge Ave. C3, Philadelphia, PA
Owned by Aundrea Watkins

“Our main mission is to provide exceptional customer service. We pride ourselves on our timeliness with our customers and providing the best hair care services that we can provide. A lot of people come to us if they have issues with their hair. We’re like hair doctors at this point. We offer services for everyone, all ethnicities. We are very comfortable working with all different hair textures. We do men’s hair and also offer skincare services, lash care, lash extension services and waxing. We offer a lot of different services in the community and just want everyone to feel comfortable to come in.” – Aundrea Watkins, owner of Salon A’Marie

PHOTO: LUKAS VAN SANT ’21/THE HAWK
Ceramic Concept
5015 Baltimore Ave., Philadelphia, PA
Owned by Stefani Threet

“The shop is focused primarily on promoting ceramic works of artists of color, women and local artists. As of now I carry a little over 70 artists here in this space. Some of the other works I carry are from artists I’ve met through craft shows or I have met through various different facets of my selling career of 15 years. I carry artists nationwide and I have two international artists.” – Stefani Threet, owner of Ceramic Concept

PHOTO: SARAH HARWICK ’21/THE HAWK
Girls Auto Clinic
7425 West Chester Pike, Upper Darby, PA
Owned by Patrice Banks

“Girls Auto Clinic is a mechanic shop where we don’t discriminate against anyone, but we want to help our [female] customers. We want everyone to feel equal and just feel comfortable and empowered to not be auto airheads. We want everyone to be able to feel like they’re competent when they get stuck on the road and need a tire or just something in general that could go wrong with your car. We’re your family and we got your best interest in our hearts.”  Amina Velazquez, service advisor at Girls Auto Clinic

PHOTO COURTESY OF CRUST VEGAN BAKERY
Crust Vegan Bakery
4409 Main St., Philadelphia, PA
Owned by Meagan Benz and Shannon Roche

“Since day one, we have had a mission of finding a sustainable way to create accessible and delicious vegan baked goods for our community. We highly prioritize using fair trade and local ingredients. Shannon and I started Crust with the common goal of creating a workplace that would ideally be as free as possible from the racism, sexism, homophobia and abuse found commonly in kitchens across our country. The discrimination we have felt as women in the food world goes far beyond our personal experiences, and Crust is a place that tolerates no hate. Being a queer woman-owned business is something we take great pride in, but we feel an even greater sense of pride in the equality that exists amongst all Crust staff.” Meagan Benz, co-owner of Crust Vegan Bakery

PHOTO COURTESY OF MODEST TRANSITIONS
Modest Transitions
www.modesttransitions.com
Owned by Melanie Hasan

“Modest Transitions offers naturally dyed textiles and aesthetically pleasing pieces inspired by nature’s beauty to empower and unify women from different backgrounds. Modest Transitions encourages women to embrace their natural beauty and to be comfortable within their own skin through unique, hand-dyed products. I am hopeful Modest Transitions will generate healthy and positive conversation to eliminate or bring awareness to stereotypes associated with modesty, femininity and inclusion.” – Melanie Hasan, owner of Modest Transitions

PHOTO: LUKAS VAN SANT ’21/THE HAWK
Unity Yoga 
4363 Main Street, Philadelphia, PA
8020 Germantown Ave Philadelphia, PA
Co-owned by Arielle Ashford

“We visioned this studio to be a trauma-informed studio. We hire teachers who have a trauma sensitivity about them inherently through the way they teach. We also do offer recovery yoga for folks that are in recovery from substance use and mental health disorders. In a way of giving back we’re able to have those classes for free, which is super cool.” – Arielle Ashford, founder and co-owner of Unity Yoga 

PHOTO COURTESY OF HARRIETT’S BOOKSHOP
Harriett’s Bookshop
258 E Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA
Owned by Jeannine Cook

“Harriett’s mission celebrates women authors, women artists and women activists under the guiding light of Harriet Tubman. We offer books, art and opportunities for activism. Women have, for far too long, been relegated to a position of second class citizens—especially Black women who Alice Walker refers to as ‘the so-called mule of society.’ My quest is to restore the order, revise the history, so we can reconstruct the future.” –  Jeannine Cook, owner of Harriett’s Bookshop