Campus faces unprecedented uptick in positive COVID-19 cases

Students+wait+to+get+tested+for+COVID-19+during+the+spring+semester.+
Students wait to get tested for COVID-19 during the spring semester.

With less than two weeks until the start of Easter break-the only full break during the spring semester—the university is facing a significant uptick in positive COVID-19 cases on campus. 

On March 22, the SJU COVID-19 Dashboard reported “estimated active cases” on campus as 82, with a total of 258 cumulative cases so far for the spring 2021 semester. The On-Campus Isolation and Quarantine Daily Space Snapshot showed 19% of on-campus spaces in use.

The largest spike recorded in the fall 2020 semester was on Nov. 16 with a reported 25 positive cases. This spring, the largest spike in reported cases occurred on Feb. 14, with 21 reported cases. The second-largest spikes were on March 9 and March 19, with 18 cases each day.

Cary Anderson, Ed.D., associate provost and vice president of Student Life, wrote in a March 19 university announcement that students should  “avoid non-University-sanctioned events and gatherings” as well as comply with symptomatic testing. 

“A number of factors are contributing, but the most concerning is that our students continue to attend unsanctioned events and gatherings,” wrote Anderson in response to written questions from The Hawk

Jacob Vucinaj ’24, a rower on the St. Joe’s men’s crew team, was exposed to COVID-19 from a teammate who tested positive, and went into quarantine on March 19. Vucinaj said while his teammates and other students have seemed to be working to stay safe, he said the spike is likely coming from an increase in activity on campus. 

“I think people go out more because they’ve been stuck inside all day with not really much to do,” Vucinaj said. “Other than that, I feel like mostly everyone I know is being really careful because we just want this to be over with.”

Throughout the city, COVID-19 cases have been steadily on the rise since Feb. 14, according to the Philadelphia Department of Public Health (PDPH) COVID-19 Overview. Most other universities in the area have not experienced a similar spike in cases this week, although the University of Pennsylvania is currently operating at Alert Level 2: Heightened Awareness as the cities’ positive case numbers increase. LaSalle University experienced a bump in positive cases on March 19 with 10 cases reported.

Anderson said students need to be more vigilant in upholding safety precautions, especially with such a short window before they are planning to go home for the Easter break.

“For those planning to go home or elsewhere over the break, we are now entering the timeframe when you may not be able to travel if placed into isolation or quarantine, and you may risk placing friends and roommates in quarantine impeding their ability to travel for the holiday,” Anderson said.  

The Hawk requested an interview with Eileen Bevilacqua, RN, BSN, director of the Student Health Center. Bevilacqua said she was not available for an interview, but with the rise in cases, she stressed the importance of reporting symptoms as soon as possible.

“When students walk around symptomatic for days they continue to spread the virus,” Bevilacqua wrote in response to written questions from The Hawk.

Anderson also said that the spike in cases can be attributed to students’ delay in reporting symptoms and exposure.

All community members are required to complete a COVID-19 Self-Disclosure form “immediately when experiencing symptoms, upon receipt of a positive test result, or when exposed to a non-campus or unknown individual,” according to the Hawk Hill Ahead website. 

In addition to reporting symptoms, wearing a mask and social distancing, James Garrow, director of communications for the PDPH, said there are other ways students can mitigate the spread of the virus on campus. 

“Probably the easiest thing that folks at the university level can consider doing is, if you’re going to get together with people, do it outside,” Garrow said.

Anderson said prior to Easter break, students will be able to take a free test on campus from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on March 29 or March 30 outside of Barry Hall. All residential students will be required to take another test after Easter break from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on either April 7 or April 8 in the Maguire Wolfington Welcome Center tent. 

While the university is encouraging students to get tested, Anderson said “this is about personal responsibility and care for the St. Joe’s community,” so there is more that can be done to minimize transmission. 

“We cannot let our guard down,” Anderson said. “Despite the vaccine rollout and warmer weather, we must maintain vigilance with all safety measures including masks and distancing.”