Letter to the Editor

A Statement from the Chair of the Department of Theology and
Religious Studies

I am writing in support of and in solidarity with the LGBTQIA members of the Saint Joseph’s University Community: students, staff, faculty and alumni. I am writing on my own behalf. 

The Vatican’s recent statement that same sex unions could not be blessed because “the Church cannot bless sin” was worse than unfortunate. It was sinful. It continued the hierarchy’s pattern of rejecting and erasing loyal and faithful followers of Jesus Christ.n In refusing to bless these unions, the Church has added pain upon insult in its refusal to ritually acknowledge the reality of the love of Christ for gay, lesbian and other couples who do not embrace heteronormative idetifiers as they live together under vows of love, fidelity and mutual support.

Thus, once again, the Church hierarchy has failed some of its most vulnerable members. This calumny of calling vowed, faithful love seeking ecclesial blessing “sinful” reflects the true state of episcopal authority, desiccated and rendered nearly irrelevant by its catastrophic failure to protect children during decades of abuse and coverup. However, that sad truth does not mitigate the suffering this most recent insult has caused. Those of us who enjoy privilege and authority at the university need to work even harder now in the service of inclusion and empowerment for all of the members of our community.

I would close with one undeniable Truth: anyone who has received the gift of a life partner who  cherishes, honors and loves only them for as long as they both shall live knows that such a gift comes from the Source of all Love. What God has joined together let no Church put asunder.

Paul F. Aspan, Ph.D.

Chair and Associate Professor

Department of Theology and 

Religious  Studies

Saint Joseph’s University