Treatment toward Haitians is unacceptable

The U.S. needs to provide humanitarian support

The U.S. border patrol agents’ inhumane treatment of Haitian immigrants has been horrifying, yet unsurprising. The violent events have sparked controversy and started conversation on why there are so many Haitian immigrants coming to the U.S.

Many Haitians, who have been living in the U.S. after the 2010 earthquake, were granted Temporary Protected Status, which the Trump administration ended. After the assassination of Haiti’s president, Jovenel Moïse, in July and the earthquake in August, the Biden administration reinstated Temporary Protected Status for Haitian immigrants. 

The reinstatement of this status, which was meant for people who were already living in the U.S., gave Haitians who resided outside of the country hope that they could gain Temporary Protected Status.

These Haitians, who migrated to South and Central America and who had lost their jobs due to covid-19, make up the majority of the Haitians at the border. Migrants are coming to the U.S. to start a better life, only to face terrible conditions. They have not lived in Haiti for years, and therefore cannot return and support themselves. 

The U.S. must accept a great deal of responsibility for the conditions in Haiti, and for why so many are being forced to leave the country. 

Despite giving small amounts of aid to Haiti in times of crisis, the U.S has contributed to Haiti’s poverty, dating all the way back to the 1800s. After the Haitian Revolution (1791-1804), the first successful slave revolt in colonial history, the U.S. stopped sending aid to the country, fearing that word of enslaved Haitians gaining independence would spread and cause an uprising in the continental U.S.

The U.S. and France effectively isolated Haiti, leaving the country unable to participate in the Atlantic trade, and to grow its economy and help its people recover from colonialism. 

In 1825, France demanded indemnity from Haiti over lost property, including enslaved Haitians. The sum of the indemnity was equivalent to $21 billion today. Haiti, unable to handle the war they were threatened with, had no choice but to pay. In 1947, Haiti finally finished paying off its debt, for which the U.S. was appointed as the debt collector, acquiring hefty collection fees in the process. 

This is not the only instance in history when the U.S. caused Haiti to be indebted. When the U.S. occupied Haiti, from 1915 to 1934,  20 percent of the country’s annual revenue was loan debt to the U.S. Trade embargoes and exported products that have damaged Haitian businesses have also hurt Haiti and its people economically. 

The U.S. has played a large role in pushing Haiti further into poverty. Haitian immigrants have had to leave their country to escape the damage caused by the U.S. It is reprehensible that Haitian immigrants, who only want a better life, receive such inhumane treatment at the border.

Haitian migrants at the border have been charged at by border patrol agents on horseback, some even using their reins as whips, a deeply racist and cruel response. 

The U.S. should take accountability for its  role in Haiti’s poverty, and at the very least allow humanitarian parole to assist the Haitian migrants at the border. 

Individuals can also help by calling their senators and representatives. Haitian Bridge Alliance has a script individuals can use when calling. Many organizations that help asylum seekers are asking for donations for bail, legal and medical services, food, shelter and supplies.

Our shared humanity with the Haitian migrants makes it our responsibility to stand in solidarity with them. As St. Joe’s students, our mission is to be hawks with and for others. 

If something as simple as educating ourselves about the issue, calling our senators and representatives, and donating money makes an impact, then those are actions we must take as a community.