'A voice for the voiceless'
Kiley O’Brien ’25, Assistant Features Editor • July 18, 2024
Fit to be king
Lilli Dellheim '25 M.A., Special to the Hawk • July 13, 2024

When classical studies meets martial arts

The first time I heard about St. Joe’s was during my junior year of high school. At the time, I had no idea I would attend St. Joe’s, but after meeting Dr. Maria Marsilio and the rest of the classics department, I knew I made the right choice. 

It sounds cheesy, but I can’t imagine my life without them and everyone else I’ve met at St. Joe’s. I know I couldn’t have gotten as far as I have without the support, love and gentle teasing from the people around me. 

I’m a junior classics and secondary education double major. I’m from Pottstown, PA and I went to Owen J. Roberts High School. I have an older sister and a younger brother (my fellow middle children, where are you at?). I also have two dogs. In my free time, I read and write. I also love going hiking and kayaking with my parents.

This past summer, I participated in the Summer Scholars program, where I worked on research for one of my favorite book series called “Throne of Glass.” I researched classical reception and the effect classical reception has on the way we perceive the ancient world. I decided to do this because my first exposure to ancient Greece and Rome was through popular culture. 

I am a tutor at the Writing Center, co-director of the Honors Mentorship Program, a member of the Judo club, and a black belt in taekwondo. I started taekwondo shortly after I turned twelve, and it is both mentally and physically rewarding. My senior year of high school I earned my black belt, and before I even tested, I had to fulfill a set of rigorous requirements. 

There are five tenets of taekwondo: courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control, and indomitable spirit. These tenets, while specific to taekwondo, can also be applied to any aspect of life.

I try my best to incorporate them into mine.

I started judo in college, and it’s been so much fun learning another martial art. Both taekwondo and judo have acted as a way for me to meet people of all ages, at all different stages of life, and across many different professions. I treasure the insight they give me, and I’m happy that our shared love for a martial art allowed us to meet. 

Taekwondo and judo both taught me discipline and I use this discipline in other areas of my life.