Main Character Moment Playlist

​​You know those instances that make you feel like you’re in a movie? Maybe when you’re walking home alone and it starts to rain, or when you stare out the car window on a family road trip. Not just those split seconds, but also those moments where you feel like the whole world is either against you or cheering you on. 

Whether you’re down on your luck, or on top of the world, this life is your story and you’re the main character. Listen to these tracks to contribute to your own personal plotline. 

Tongue Tied – Grouplove

Starting on a high note, as most movies do, this song is the blueprint to conveying a sense of teen ecstasy, evoking the same gleeful feeling that perfectly emulates main character vibes. The build up in the beginning erupts into an explosion of cheers and upbeat instrumentals that will make you feel like you’re on cloud nine. 

Drew Barrymore – SZA

When it’s hard to accept the party is over, this song captures that low part of every movie when the main character experiences self-doubt and loneliness. We all have those moments. Instead of trying to cheer ourselves up, sometimes it’s better to embrace those feelings. I find it therapeutic to listen to sad music when I’m sad to make myself, well, sadder. Just me?

Ain’t It Fun – Paramore

A song that feels like summer with a splash of sarcasm, this number has one of the best beats I’ve ever heard, but the lyrics behind the happy-go-lucky music are a little too real. Sometimes we need that, though. If you failed a test, didn’t get the job or just feel like everything and everyone is against you today, listen to this song to shake it off. You can’t be in control of everything at all times, so just sing along and laugh it off. This too shall pass. And no, Hayley Williams, it ain’t fun living in the real world sometimes. 

Slipping Through My Fingers – ABBA

Many of the life changing movies share the theme of coping with growing up. This song is through the perspective of a mother watching her daughter grow up too fast, but listening to it as a daughter makes me miss my childhood. If you want to dig deeper into the feels, listen to the Mamma Mia! version performed by Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried. If you need me, I’ll be watching this movie on the couch crying with my mom. 

Here’s to Never Growing Up – Avril Lavigne 

This hit can make anyone feel like they will be young forever. That’s the goal of all those coming of age movies, isn’t it? Gather up all your friends and have a spontaneous dance party to this banger. Live in the moment. After all, you are the main character of your story. 

Electric Love – Børns

Of course your movie has to end on a high note, just like it started. But this song takes that high note to a whole new level. If you haven’t heard it, congratulations, it’s your new favorite. I’ve never been so blown away by how a song could make me feel; it’s indescribable. It truly is like lightning in a bottle. I recommend listening to this one on full blast in the car with all the windows down to find out for yourself. Roll credits.