Which team will punch its ticket to the dance in DC?

The Hawk sports staff makes its A-10 tournament predictions

The Atlantic 10 (A-10) Tournament is taking place March 9-13. Here are The Hawk sports desk’s picks for which team will take home the crown.

Tyler Nice ’23

Sports Editor 

Pick: VCU

Before Saturday’s game on the road at Saint Louis University, the Virginia Commonwealth University Rams won 11 of their last 12 games, including a victory at then-ranked Davidson University, a 23-point drubbing of St. Bonaventure University and a road win at arch-rival University of Richmond. Assuming that VCU can get past the Richmond Spiders in the quarterfinal, an interesting matchup against the University of Dayton would presumably await. The Flyers are the youngest team in college basketball, while the Rams’ starting unit includes three upperclassmen. Ultimately, I think experience will win out and VCU will be able to squeak by Dayton before its on-ball defense wears down the St. Bonaventure squad, who rely heavily on their starters.

Aaron Tully ’23

Assistant 

Sports Editor 

Pick: Davidson

Each of the top five teams in the conference have a chance to win, but Davidson is the team best equipped to do so. The Wildcats are the only team to be in the top five of the conference for both offense and defense. Davidson is also eighth best in the country when it comes to shooting the three. Saint Louis is a team to watch here. The Billikens are just as good as Davidson on offense, however, they would more than likely meet Davidson in the semifinal, and Davidson is just a better team overall. I think the Wildcats will punch their ticket to the NCAA Tournament by beating a lackluster VCU offense.

Chris Kline ’23

Graphics 

Pick: VCU

Momentum is everything when it comes to tournament-style play and VCU is steamrolling into the A-10 tournament. VCU’s top scorer year? Vince Williams Jr. scored a career-high 26 points in the team’s last game. Assuming Richmond wins in the second round, the Rams would then take on the Spiders on Thursday, who they bested 77-57 in February. The next round would likely place the Rams against the Dayton Flyers, who they beat once back in January and lost to in February. I have VCU taking control of the game and upsetting the two seed. The Rams will be hungry to get back into the NCAA Tournament after having to forfeit its First Round matchup last season due to covid-19.

AnnE Potter ’25

Hawk Staff 

Pick: Davidson

Davidson has my pick for the A-10 Championship despite the tight race within the top three teams in the division. The Wildcats have the best chances to win because of the leadership coming from junior guard Foster Loyer  who is the team’s leading scorer this season and has plenty of big game experience coming in as a transfer from Michigan State University. This season, Davidson’s offense has held consistency throughout. The Wildcats average 26 field goals per game, while the opposing team averages just 23 field goals points per game. The last time the Wildcats won the championship was back in 2018, and I think they have a very high chance of winning it all once again.

Matt Dunne ’25

Columnist 

Pick: Dayton

Full disclosure, I want to pick St. Bonaventure to win the league. The Bonnies know how to win this tournament, but Osun Osunniyi’s injuries and the team’s short bench has steered me away. So, I will be sticking with my preseason pick of Dayton. The Flyers have beaten all of the top six seeds at least once, and I believe their recent win against Davidson shows their young group is ready for this moment. If I were a betting man, I would expect an enormous breakout tournament from first-year forward DaRon Holmes II, and for Head Coach Anthony Grant to be hoisting the A-10 trophy on Sunday.