University reinstates indoor mask mandate

Jay Wise ’25 wears a mask while walking through campus on April 11. PHOTO: KELLY SHANNON ’24/THE HAWK
Recorded covid cases spike at St. Joe’s

This story has been updated from the April 13 print edition to reflect the most recent developments.

St. Joe’s will reinstate its indoor mask mandate beginning April 18, according to an April 13 university announcement.

No other additional restrictions are in place, according to the announcement.

“Food and beverages will be allowed in classrooms, events will continue as scheduled, and space capacities will remain at normal levels,” the announcement stated. “As a reminder, masks must be worn over both the nose and mouth. In classrooms, they should be removed only briefly to eat or drink and returned to their proper position quickly.

“The university’s announcement follows a decision by the Philadelphia Department of Public Health (PDPH), announced April 11, that the city will again require masks to be worn indoors starting on April 18.

The city’s mandate is a safety measure triggered by the more than 50% increase in new covid-19 cases compared to 10 days ago, according to the PDPH announcement.

Hours after the PDPH announcement, Cary Anderson, Ed.D., associate provost and vice president of Student Life, wrote in response to written questions from The Hawk that an announcement regarding any changes in the university policy regarding masks would be forthcoming and that “as an institution located in Philadelphia, the University will follow Philadelphia Department of Public Health mandates.”

St. Joe’s April 13 announcement ties the university’s decision to “the city’s actions.” 

“We realize the city’s requirements may be frustrating. However, we must take seriously the guidance from local public health authorities,” the announcement stated.

On April 13, St. Joe’s covid-19 dashboard was updated with 23 new cases for April 12, marking the highest spike in covid cases of the spring 2022 semester. On April 11, 12 new cases had been reported on the dashboard. The recent spike in cases is the highest of the 2021-2022 academic year. The highest daily spike ever reported on the dashboard was on Nov. 16, 2020, with 25 new cases reported.

The Philadelphia Department of Public Health (PDPH) announced on April 11 that it will again require masks to be worn indoors starting on April 18. 

The mandate is a safety measure triggered by the more than 50% increase in new covid-19 cases compared to 10 days ago, according to the announcement.

Hours after the PDPH announcement, Cary Anderson, Ed.D., associate provost and vice president of Student Life, wrote in response to a written question from The Hawk that an announcement regarding any changes in the university policy regarding masks would be forthcoming but that “as an institution located in Philadelphia, the University will follow Philadelphia Department of Public Health mandates.”

Dr. David A. Pegues, M.D., professor of medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, said the decision to reinstate the indoor mask requirement in Philadelphia is in response to rising rates of positive covid tests from the highly transmissible omicron B.A.2 variant.

“Although being up to date with covid-19 vaccinations (primary series and booster) reduces the risk of serious complications of infection with this omicron variant, the return to indoor masking helps to further reduce the risk of transmission in indoor setting, particularly those associated with crowding and/or poor ventilation,” Pegues wrote in response to written questions from The Hawk.

Since March 3, the university had not required masks to be worn indoors in shared or common spaces. However, individual faculty members at higher risk could still require students to wear masks in their classrooms, labs and offices and university shuttles still required masks as well. 

Students and professors responded to the lifting of the mask mandate last month in different ways. 

Brian Yates, Ph.D., associate professor of history, said he continued to require masks in his classes even when the university mask mandate was lifted.  

“I wear a mask in class because I believe in the research of indoor transmission,” Yates said. “I also have an immunocompromised wife and child. I am so proud of St. Joe’s students. I have not a single issue of anyone not wearing masks.”

Like Yates, Maeve DeNardo ’23 wears a mask in all of her classes to protect her own health and the health of others around her.

“It made me really uncomfortable that a couple days before spring break I was the only person in my classes wearing a mask,” DeNardo said. “I felt like I was fending for myself, and I was really nervous going home to my dad who is seriously immunocompromised.”

Other students, like Ashley Damaia ’23, made a decision about whether to continue wearing masks by evaluating what others were doing after the university’s announcement about lifting the mask mandate. 

“I guess because everyone else on campus stopped wearing masks and I am fully vaccinated, I felt comfortable not wearing one after the mandate was lifted,” Damaia said.

Enrico Bruno, Ph.D., visiting assistant professor of English and assistant director of the Writing Center, did not require his students to wear a mask in the classroom during the period when the mandate was lifted, but he wears one to protect those around him. 

“I will say that I personally am not concerned for my own health,” Bruno said. “I do wear a mask in the classroom because I’m worried for the health of others.” 

Mike Lyons, Ph.D., associate professor and chair of communications and media studies, who did not wear a mask, nor required his students to wear a mask in his classroom during the time when the mask mandate was lifted, said the university has done a great job managing to contain the spread of covid since 2020.

“I think it’s important that people who do want to wear one are given the freedom to do that,” Lyons said.

Though university and PDPH policies still required masks on all public transport, some students have not worn masks on university shuttles. 

Art Grover, director of Public Safety & Security, confirmed the university’s covid safety protocols for masks on St. Joe’s transportation services remain in place. 

“Our operators have been advised of the protocols and are expected to wear face coverings and to request that riders do so as well,” Grover wrote in response to emailed questions from The Hawk before the PDPH announcement this week. 

With the city announcing the return of the mask mandate, Katie Schaffner ’25 said she understands why people are frustrated with the changes to the mandate.

“It is a little bit confusing how fast it changed,” Schaffner said. “Going from needing KN95 masks to nothing, and now going back to that, I feel like it’s a little bit hard to keep up.”