'A voice for the voiceless'
Kiley O’Brien ’25, Assistant Features Editor • July 18, 2024
Fit to be king
Lilli Dellheim '25 M.A., Special to the Hawk • July 13, 2024

Dancing through the Decades

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /
THE HAWK
GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 / THE HAWK

Can’t pick an era of oldies to kick it to? We’ve got you covered. Here’s a taste of every decade since the seventies. 

“Take It Easy” – The Eagles

This 1972 classic has all the right vibes and never fails to make you feel light and breezy. You can rock out to it no matter what mood you’re in. Even when you’re feeling stressed, this southern California folk-rock melody will remind you not to let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy. 

“Sweet Child O’ Mine” – Guns N’ Roses

If you don’t belt this song in the car like Adam Scott does in “Step Brothers,” then what are you doing? Axl Rose manages to maintain tough grunge vocals while singing about a girl whose smile reminds him of childhood memories. It’s no wonder that this song climbed to number one on Billboard’s Hot 100 in 1988. 

“No Diggity” – Blackstreet and Dr. Dre

Released in 1996, this song manages to remain on everyone’s party playlist. It’s possible there is a chemical in this song that makes it impossible to dislike or tire of. The thumping beat in the beginning warms you up to a verse that cannot be described as anything other than sweet music. Your challenge of the day is to listen to this hit and try not to get down to it. Good luck.

“Irreplaceable” – Beyoncé

This 2006 burner, like many of Beyoncé’s hits, should be considered an anthem of empowerment. I can only imagine how wild people went when this song was released. I love any revenge song sung from the perspective of a scorned woman, and no other song can hold a candle to this one. 

“Cannibal” – Kesha

I think we can all agree that Kesha ran the 2010s, kicking off the start of the decade with this crazy hit. And no, her name is not misspelled. She took the dollar sign out, like, forever ago. However, it’s still fun to reminisce on her dollar sign days when everyone wanted to embody her glitter-fueled party girl personality. Let out your inner animal and jam out to “Cannibal.”