Editorial

Winter is coming, and with it comes an influx of infection that can deeply affect our cherished ones if we do not preemptively act.

St. Joe’s recently had a vaccine clinic on both Hawk Hill and University City campuses on Oct. 19, providing flu shots and the bivalent Pfizer booster shot. Students and faculty across the university were able to receive both vaccines in one fell swoop, further strengthening their personal protection as well as the protection of the St. Joe’s community.

Those in our surrounding community, and potentially within our homes, who were the most vulnerable during the height of covid-19 are still vulnerable, even doubly so as the virus continues to mutate. Due to widespread distrust and misinformation, the vaccination and booster rates within the greater Philadelphia community fall below what they ought to in the face of this pandemic.

As we enjoy the seasonal pumpkin spice and peppermint flavors of the coming months, we must ensure that our close enjoyment does not carry a hidden danger as we greet friends and family on and off campus. The favored close quarters that we encounter harbor the potential of increased infection rates as distance decreases and interaction increases. Though we have gotten over a mask mandate on campus, please wear one if you feel even the most minuscule of a sniffle encroaching.

The Hawk welcomes Letters to the Editor, typically no more than 300 words. They can be emailed to [email protected].