October Release Recap Playlist

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23/THE HAWK

With new music constantly on the radar, it was only appropriate to start the new month with a recap of the previous one. These are four of the many songs that were released in the month of October. 

“Swan Upon Leda” – Hozier 

You may recognize this folk, soul and blues artist from his 2013 hit “Take Me to Church.” After three years of not releasing new music, Hozier made his return with his new single “Swan Upon Leda.” While it was a subtle launch back into music, the song is beautifully composed while also serving a greater purpose. Hozier shared on an Instagram post from Oct. 3 that he was writing the song when the news of Roe v. Wade being overturned was announced. He shares this song, as well as resources and donations to female health organizations, as a way to stand in solidarity. 

“Homesick” – Noah Kahan

Noah Kahan’s recently released album gives those nostalgic, warm air, fall season vibes that you would expect from an album titled “Stick Season.” Although it is hard to rank a favorite song off of the album, “Homesick” is definitely a memorable one that is worth giving a listen to. Even if you have found yourself getting caught up in the recent excitement of Philadelphia sports, it is still normal to long for your hometown from time to time. This song highlights that subconscious feeling of wanting to go back home and the nostalgia that comes with leaving where you’re from. 

“WHY?” – WILLOW

Although she is not necessarily born and raised in West Philadelphia like her father, WILLOW’s new album, “<COPING MECHANISM>,” nonetheless gives listeners the chance to feel the angst of falling in and out of love. This alternative rock and grunge song is the fourth track on the album, and it has a slightly different sound than some of the other songs on this list. It tells the story of someone who is trying to find the answers. They are tired of feeling the pain after heartbreak, feeling isolated, alone, and ultimately, longing for their wounds to heal. 

“would you love me now?” – Joshua Bassett 

You may have found yourself scrolling on TikTok and stumbling across a video of “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series” star Joshua Bassett alluding to his rumored romance with co-star Olivia Rodrigo that sparked controversy back when her debut single was released in 2021. If you weren’t too preoccupied by the funny commentary of the video, you would have noticed the track in the background that was Bassett’s new single “would you love me now?” Over the month of October, Bassett has been feeding his fans with new singles dropping every Thursday, this song being the one to start this miniseries. This song highlights the emotions of running back to a love you could never let go.