Christmas tree lights up Hawk Hill

The Christmas tree from the USS Christmas Tree Lighting is outside Campion Student Center and Villiger Lawn. PHOTO: KELLY SHANNON’24/ THE HAWK

More than 450 students attended University Student Senate’s (USS) annual Christmas Tree Lighting event Dec. 1 outside Campion Student Center. 

Julia Butler ’23, president of USS, said the event is a special tradition that brings the student body together in celebration. 

“Our event kicks off the holiday season at SJU,” Butler said. “Each year, we love to bring together the community and light a Christmas tree together. We decorate our halls, play festive music and give away presents.” 

Sheridan Leak ’25, Chris Mauffid ’23, Julia Bulter ’23, Gabriela Santos ’23 and Thomas Betterly ’24 stand in front of the tree with the Hawk mascot. PHOTOS: KELLY SHANNON ’24/THE HAWK

The Office of Student Leadership and Activities supports the USS in organizing, funding and running the Christmas Tree Lighting event, but the event is a student-led and driven program according to Beth Hagovsky, Ed.D, director of Student Leadership and Activities. 

“It’s become a tradition over the years. That the senate looks forward to planning, and the campus community looks forward to attending makes it even more important,” Hagovsky said. “It really is the kick-off to the Christmas season and a fun way to bring students together during a stressful time of year.”

After the tree lighting, attendees moved to Doyle North in Campion Student Center for hot chocolate, cookies and snacks, and played table games.

“We all gathered to celebrate and commence the holiday season with a tree lighting and a blessing from one of our Jesuit fathers,” Butler said. “Once we moved inside, people from all different groups on campus [came] together to share food, fun and laughter.” 

This year, the USS decided not to purchase a tree.

“[We wanted to] utilize a beautiful one that is already planted on campus,” Butler said. “This is in an effort to be more sustainable and use our available resources.”

Mike Ricciardi ’25 and Jacqueline Seijas ’26, who each attended the Christmas Tree Lighting for the first time, had different favorite parts of the event.

“Definitely the dessert,” Ricciardi said. “I can’t say no to Insomnia Cookies.”

Seijas came to the Christmas Tree Lighting after hearing it was a great event from juniors and seniors. 

“My favorite part of the event was hanging out with my friends, the excitement of us trying to win the bingo and definitely the food,” Seijas said.

Gabriela Santos ’23, vice president of USS, said the event was also a bonding event for the USS and students. 

“It brings us together as a senate and allows everyone to work together,” Santos said. “This is my fourth Christmas Tree Lighting, and, by far, the best one yet because of the organization we developed and the senate.”