Hawk recs: back to school

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

Happy third week of classes! I don’t know about you, but I am definitely starting to feel the effects of being back in school full-time. Here are some recommendations to lift your mood and remind you that you’re not alone in this college process. 

Song of the week: “Break the Rules” by Charli XCX

In this catchy melody, English singer-songwriter Charli XCX sings about not wanting to go to school and instead wanting to break the rules. She expresses her dislike for school, stating the many things she would much rather do like “going to the discotheque, getting high and getting wrecked.” This electropop song is from Charli XCX’s 2014 album “Sucker.” It’s great to listen to while you’re studying for classes or contemplating your current life choices. Are you team school? Or team break the rules? 

Binge-worthy TV show: “grown-ish”

This spin off of ABC’s “black-ish” keeps viewers on the edge of their seats with its many plot twists. This young adult comedy-drama show follows a diverse cast of students through all four years of college as they balance school, work, friendships, relationships, sexual experiences and the many unexpected things that life has to offer. This funny and relatable TV show is something everyone should add to their watchlist. Season five is currently releasing a new episode every week on Freeform and Hulu, so if you haven’t seen it yet, start your binge-watch now and catch new episodes as they air.

Must-see movie: “Senior Year”

Imagine going from a 17-year-old cheer captain and the most popular girl in high school to a comatose 37-year-old. This comedy follows Rebel Wilson’s character “Steph” as she re-enters high school and society after being in a coma for 20 years. She soon realizes that navigating high school in 2022 is much different than what she remembers. Seeing how all her friends and foes have matured and settled into their lives while she mentally remains a 17-year-old is tough. Watch as she tries to recreate her teenage dream life in her 37-year-old reality. “Senior Year” is available to stream on Netflix.