5K run hosted in remembrance of St. Joe’s alum

The finish line of the run. PHOTO COURTESY OF ANNA DIRIENZO

Delta Sigma Pi (DSP) held their ninth annual 5K run on April 22 in honor of Casey Doolin ’12, who learned she had cancer during her senior year at St. Joe’s. 

Doolin, a member of DSP, a professional business fraternity, was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in 2012 and died in 2013.

Jenna Danielson ’23, the fraternity’s Casey Doolin Memorial co-chair, said DSP had a record high number of signups for the run this year, with 160 online registrants and at least 30 the day of the event.

All registration fees go to families in need at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia to support those undergoing treatment, said co-chair Anna DiRienzo ’23.

Danielson said the majority of participants included members and alumni of DSP and the Doolins and their extended family and friends.

Casey Doolin’s parents, Jim and Ping Doolin, said their daughter was involved in many organizations on campus and had a friend in every corner. 

“She was in DSP, a freshman orientation leader, Hawk Host, she did a lot with Campus Ministry, she did APEX,” Ping Doolin said.  

According to Jim Doolin, DSP members reached out nine years ago to start the 5K fundraiser after the Doolins formalized the Casey Doolin Foundation in 2014, which provides help to the families of law enforcement whose children are facing cancer or another life-threatening disease.

“They’re great ambassadors,” Jim Doolin said. “It’s the school and the people involved with it that keep us involved with what they’re doing, and we’re grateful for that.”

The brothers of DSP and 5K participants gather on the lawn outside of Wolfington Welcome Center after the 5K.
DSP’s Casey Doolin Memorial co-chairs, Anna DiRienzo ’23 and Jenna Danielson ’23 pose for a photo with Ping Doolin, Casey’s mother. PHOTOS COURTESY OF ANNA DIRIENZO