WYSK: PA College of Health Sciences merger

GRAPHIC: MINDY CHOI ’25/THE HAWK

When is the merger happening?

St. Joe’s merger with the Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences (PA College) in Lancaster will be finalized Jan. 3, 2024. The agreement was made in January 2023 under St. Joe’s President Cheryl A. McConnell, Ph.D., who was interim president at the time. A one year integration planning and preparation period followed, along with completing required accreditor and government agency applications and approval, said Kelly Welsh, assistant vice president of marketing and communications.

“PA College of Health Sciences was interested in SJU because we share many of the same values,” Welsh wrote in response to written questions from the Hawk.

What is the Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences?

PA College began offering training for health professions in 1893, originally named Lancaster General Hospital, according to their website. The first official 3-year nursing program started in 1903, and in 2001, the Pennsylvania Department of Education granted the school the ability to confer degrees. In 2015, graduate programs were added to their offerings.

On July 31, PA College announced President Mary Grace Simcox, Ed.D., will retire Dec. 31 after 26 years of presidency, just before the merger becomes official.

How does PA College’s numbers compare to St. Joe’s?

In 2022, PA College reported an overall acceptance rate of 82%. The same year, St. Joe’s reported a first -year acceptance rate of 83%. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, PA College has a current undergraduate enrollment of 1,640 students, while St. Joe’s currently has 5,071 undergraduate students. The U.S. Department of Education states the average yearly net price of tuition is $36,658 for PA College, and $30,487 for St. Joe’s.

What programs are being added to St. Joe’s curriculum?

The acquisition of PA College will add a variety of nursing and allied health programs to St. Joe’s academic offerings, including new associate, bachelor’s and master’s degrees, along with other certificates. Nursing will officially be offered at St. Joe’s beginning fall 2024.

Currently, St. Joe’s does not offer associate degree programs. However, following the merger, a variety of associate degree programs will be added, including nursing, cardiac sonography, diagnostic medical sonography, radiography, respiratory care, vascular sonography, nuclear medicine technology, surgical technology and other health related studies. Nursing programs will also offer bachelor’s and master’s (nurse practitioner) degrees, and the School of Nursing and Allied Health will be added.

“Saint Joseph’s students will be able to earn an associates degree in many different programs,” Welsh said.

A complete list of new programs at St. Joe’s will be finalized soon, Welsh said.

Will students have to travel between campuses?

The PA College campus located in Lancaster is over an hour drive from both the Hawk Hill and University City campuses. All students currently commute to the Lancaster campus and there is no housing.

“Regarding housing and a shuttle between campuses, PA College is a commuter location and will remain as such,” Welsh said. “Students will not need to travel between locations.”