CineHawk review: ‘The Beekeeper’

GRAPHIC: HANNAH MADEYA ’24 & SADIE HENZES ’24/THE HAWK

“The Beekeeper” is a 2024 action-thriller directed by David Ayer and written by Kurt Wimmer, starring Jason Statham as Adam Clay, a retired deadly assassin also known as the Beekeeper. The film follows a retired deadly assassin who spends his days beekeeping until his elderly neighbor, Eloise Parker, played by Phylicia Rashad, gets swindled out of her life savings by an organization of scammers. Clay embarks on a mission to eliminate the threat while encountering old enemies from his mysterious past.

So far, “The Beekeeper” has set the bar high for 2024’s action flicks. On its opening night, the film grossed an astonishing $50 million at the domestic box office. The main standout of the film is definitely its leading man. Statham has once again proved himself to be one of the most entertaining action stars within modern-day cinema. He flawlessly performed physically demanding state-of-the-art choreography that most high-quality action films lack. Statham’s lightning-paced movements were kinetic and brilliantly packed with wonderfully impressive brute force.

Outside of displaying perfectly effective action spectacles, “The Beekeeper” presented an enlightening take on how scammers can steal from anyone without ever being detected. What made the movie’s complex villains even more interesting to watch was witnessing the likable protagonist defeat them every step of the way.

Time and time again, directors like David Ayer have proved that audiences yearn to see ruthless characters stylishly decimate evil without remorse. Conversely, what makes “The Beekeeper” such a quintessential action flick are likable protagonists, brilliant unorthodox narratives reflecting the modern zeitgeist and memorable action sequences. Somehow, “The Beekeeper” has exceeded all the previous expectations that it would not amount to any box office profit and kicked off the new year with an exciting fresh start after a few lukewarm releases that amounted to nothing. For those looking for a fun, hard-hitting film to kick off 2024, “The Beekeeper” is worth the watch.