Ryan Daly returns to his roots

Daly will play for the Hawks in the 2019-20 season (Photo courtesy of SJU Athletics).

University of Delaware basketball player set to transfer to St. Joe’s

Former University of Delaware guard Ryan Daly has signed a commitment letter and will officially be a part of the St. Joe’s basketball program.

Daly will have to sit out the 2018-19 season as a red-shirt. He will have two years of eligibility, starting in the 2019-20 season. 

Daly’s late grandfather, Jim Boyle, played for the Hawks and coached them from 1981-89. His  father Brian Daly also played for St. Joe’s, and his mother Tracie Daly is a St. Joe’s graduate. 

Nick Karpinski: What was the main reason behind your transfer?

Ryan Daly: “I wanted to feel more like myself. I just felt like a change. I really enjoyed Delaware. It was a personal decision for me and I’m happy with St. Joe’s.” 

NK: How much has your family history affected your decision do come to St. Joe’s? 

RD: “Growing up going to St. Joe’s games definitely played a part. St. Joe’s made themselves available, there was a few others. When I narrowed my list down, I was pretty confident that St. Joe’s was the one. Family history played a part, but it’s not the only reason. It’s cool to continue the family legacy.” 

NK: What was Phil Martelli’s role in how you made your decision? 

RD: “He told me the truth. He didn’t promise me any minutes or a specific role. He said that he thinks the team has the opportunity to be really special over the next couple years. Everyone coming back healthy is the top priority. He said that he wants me to be a part of this team. He said he’s not doing me any favors. He believes in my ability to contribute to the program.” 

NK: What is the benefit of you to sitting out a year?

RD: “Getting more athletic is something that I look to try and do. The A-10 is a better league top to bottom than what I’m coming from. A year sitting will help me to become more mature in terms of looking at the game from a different angle. At Delaware, I played most every game. I didn’t get the chance to see the game from the sideline. It’ll be interesting to see developments and how the offense works for a whole year.” 

NK: How have two years of college basketball helped you to develop your game? 

RD: “[Head] Coach [Martin] Ingelsby helped me a lot throughout my time at Delaware. I wouldn’t be the player I am without him. You get thrown into the fire pretty quickly. Me and a couple of other players played a lot of minutes. You see seven footers when you’re going down the lane. It made me  a better player and I think it’s prepared me for St. Joe’s.” 

NK: What can you bring to this team that no one else can?

RD: “St. Joe’s has a lot of ability. I’m just going to try to be as competitive as possible. I’m going to try to be tougher than everyone in the league. I don’t want to change the way I’ve grown up playing. I’d be doing the people that helped me to get here a disservice. I want to win as many games as possible. Whether coach wants me to play one minute or forty minutes, I’m ready to do whatever it takes to win.”

NK: What does competing in the A-10 and against the Philadelphia Big 5 schools mean to you? 

RD: “I played with a lot of those kids kids over the summer. It’s going to be cool to play against them. I didn’t play a lot of Philly schools except for Drexel sometimes. I’m close with a lot of kids on those teams in the Big 5.” 

NK: Even though you won’t be able to play next season, with a healthy roster, how exciting is it to be a part of this team?

RD: “I think it’s going to be really special. With this roster, I think we’re going to be really good. Health last year wasn’t that great. I’m very confident that if this team stays healthy, they can win a lot of games and surprise a lot of people.”