A new way to trick-or-treat

Lexa Fenster ’22 gives candy to a Campion Dining Hall employee (Photos by Rose Barrett ’20).

Students pass out candy to St. Joe’s staff

Hawks for Just Employment held its second Reverse Trick-or-Treating event in which they delivered candy to the subcontracted employees around campus.

Students went to Campion Dining Hall and the four freshman dormitories—McShain Hall, Villiger Residence Hall, Sourin Residence Center and Lafarge Student Residence—to show appreciation to employees who are subcontracted by the university.

Hawks for Just Employment has been in operation for several years, but this is the first year that the organization has been recognized by St. Joe’s as an official student organization rather than a branch of Campus Ministry.

In the event’s first year, students of Hawks for Just Employment handed out candy to Aramark employees in Campion Dining Hall.

This year, Stephanie Mignogna ’19, president of the organization, said it was time for the event to be larger and more inclusive.

“We asked some employees about when the shifts change over so we could get an idea of how to hit as many people as possible,” Mignogna said. “We are hoping to get 100 people covered.”

Students from Hawks For Just Employment prepare to hand out candy.

Students gathered in Wolfington Hall on Oct. 28 to finish preparations for the event.

On Oct. 29, students brought bags of candy to the staff to show appreciation for the work they do for the student body.

“I think that everyone has their favorite person in Campion that they say hi to and it’s great to say hi, but you don’t really know that person even though you see them everyday,” Mignogna said. “Obviously, material items are not the most important thing, but it’s just a nice, small way to show the employees, ‘Hi, I am thinking of you.’”

Jul Hankinson ’19 has been a member of Hawks for Just Employment for multiple years and has seen the impact of the Reverse Trick-or-Treating initiative.

“Without the subcontracted workers, St. Joe’s wouldn’t run the way it does,” Hankinson said. “A lot of them you don’t even see and we often take them for granted.”

Katie Seibly, a Campus Ministry associate and advisor of Hawks for Just Employment, said she has embraced her new role with Hawks for Just Employment.

She sees the organization as an opportunity for students to engage in conversation about the mission of the organization.

“Reverse Trick-or-Treating works as an effective way to connect with some of the subcontracted staff at St. Joe’s and an effective way to bring people into the conversation of what Hawk’s for Just Employment is thinking about and the goals that we have on campus,” Seibly said.

Members of the club put together goodie bags.

Seibly said that Reverse Trick-or-Treating allows students to engage with the staff in a more meaningful way.

“When we intentionally enter into those spaces of giving gratitude and thanks, it is a starting point for an ongoing connection,” Seibly said. “The show of appreciation and respect will hopefully work to build relationships, connections and ongoing conversations with the subcontracted staff and students on campus.”

Reverse Trick-or-Treating is the first event of the year for Hawks for Just Employment.

“People care, but it’s figuring out how do you make them care and want to get involved,” Hankinson said. “It starts with recognizing that the workers are real people like us that have jobs, have kids, have dreams and hopes.”