Martelli tells of spiritual journey at Agape Latte

Head+Coach+Phil+Martelli+spoke+to+students+in+Forum+Theatre+%28Photos+by+Matt+Barrett+%E2%80%9921%29.+
Head Coach Phil Martelli spoke to students in Forum Theatre (Photos by Matt Barrett ’21).

Pillows laid scattered about the floor of the Forum Theater lobby. Dozens of students clad in mint green t-shirts characteristic of the Agape Latte program were seated in front of a makeshift stage adorned with candles. The relaxing music set the stage for St. Joe’s first Agape Latte.

Men’s basketball Head Coach Phil Martelli was picked to headline the event because of his popularity on campus and his willingness to speak about his  spiritual journey. The main goal of Agape Latte is to set up an event where members of the St. Joe’s community, led by faculty and staff, can come and discuss their faith.

“We wanted a big name and that is why we got Phil Martelli,” Student Coordinator Lamar Bustion ’20 said. “In the future we want students to voice their opinions on who they want to see and come speak as well.”

It only took Student Coordinator Jeremiah Milligan ’20 one meeting to realize Martelli would be the perfect guest.

“We met with Martelli in his office,” Milligan said. “He didn’t hesitate to be on board. It was wonderful just to speak and talk with him. The stories he told and his demeanor were very comforting. I really was encouraged by his story.”

Dominic Polidaro ’21 and Lamar Bustion ’20 listen to Martelli’s talk.

Martelli’s talk centered around his own journey and relationship with God. He discussed how this relationship has changed throughout the years and how it has molded him into who he is today. One of the main themes of Martelli’s talk was the idea of noise.

“We are always praying for something but we fail to listen,” Martelli said. “I know God is speaking to all of you. You all just live in a world that is so noisy that you can’t hear him.”

One challenge Martelli sees in the world is the inability to listen.

“Adults have let you down,” Martelli said. “They no longer require you to learn how to listen. It is a lost art. That is why we need you now. If you can listen, you can learn.”

Martelli’s pregame ritual also touches on this idea of noise. He describes how he likes to take a silent moment before each game to pray.

“On game day I don’t speak,” Martelli said. “I don’t eat, I don’t shower, I don’t even shave until the last possible minute before I leave. I like to get to the locker room early, before anyone else is there. That is when I take out my rosary ring, which was blessed by the pope and I pray.” 

While Martelli is known on campus for his coaching prowess, the talk took on a more religious connotation.

Campus Minister Katie Seibly stressed that one of the main goals of Agape Latte was to reach as many students as possible. Martelli played into this by speaking not as one of the most famous members of the St. Joe’s community, but as “a normal guy with an extraordinary job.”