What Does Your Saxbys Order say about You?

GRAPHIC: MINDY CHOI ’25/ THE HAWK

As a college student, trying to kick-start your day can be exhausting. However, sometimes the fuel of a favorite caffeinated drink, the cool rejuvenating chill of a smoothie or the warm scent of a heated muffin is all you need. At Saxbys, located in Campion Student Center on Hawk Hill’s campus, the options feel unlimited. With a robust menu, a couple hundred orders a day and people of all ages coming to enjoy Saxbys, there’s meaning hidden within each order. Here is a list of what some of your favorite Saxbys orders say about you.

Vanilla latte

While this drink may get the reputation of being basic, current Saxbys student CEO Vivian Freymoyer ’26 prefers to say it is a comfort drink. If this is your go-to drink, or if it was the first coffee-based drink you were introduced to and you would rather not mess with something you like, why change something that’s working?

Strawberry rush energy drink

You are a bold and energized person who has probably already pulled an all-nighter this semester. Freymoyer said this is one of her go-to orders as it gives her an energy boost during her long working hours.

“In my head, it is our version of a Celsius,” Freymoyer said.

Caramel macchiato

Looking at the hierarchy of coffee orders, Spring 2023 Saxbys student CEO Nick Farrell ’24 believes a caramel macchiato is the next step up from ordering a vanilla latte. You are most likely someone who is still experimenting with coffee and trying to find the right balance between bitter and sweet.

Pep Talk Médium Roast Coffee

Farrell said if this is your go-to, you’re a professor. If you’re not a professor and this is still your go-to order, then you’re a leader on campus or someone who spends their breaks grinding out work in the library. Either way, you are successful and will continue to be.

Vanilla bean cold brew

Rita Murray ’24, a Saxbys regular, loves to swap her normal salted caramel cold brew for a vanilla bean one from time to time. Her decision to do so depends on her mood and the vibe she wants for the day.

“If I’m feeling quirky that day, and I want it to be a fun day, [I order] a vanilla bean because it’s different,” Murray said. This sweet, caffeinated alternative is for people looking for a fun, fresh start to the day.

French Toast Muffin

If you find yourself constantly craving this warm, freshly baked muffin, you are most likely a nostalgic person. You miss those early morning childhood wake-up calls and want to have a little piece of that memory with you to kick-start the day. Or you just have an everlasting sweet tooth, even at 8 a.m.

Green Goals Smoothie

You’re a passionately-driven morning person ready to take on the day without needing caffeine. You do not go anywhere without your agenda, you send out Google Calendar invites to your friends and you always show up to class ten minutes early. You can take on whatever is thrown your way, unless it’s after 7 p.m. because by then you are tucked away in bed.

The Daily Grind

Although this is still a smoothie-based drink, it’s also caffeinated. This drink is for people who are independently driven, but still need a motivational push from time to time. You need an extra boost in the morning to conquer the day.

Pickle grilled cheese

A grilled cheese sandwich is one of the simplest meals you can make. But, it can also be a creative outlet for exploring different combinations of ingredients, like the famous pickle grilled cheese. If this is your craving, Freymoyer says you probably can find a gray crewneck sweatshirt covered with pickle jars in your closet.