'A voice for the voiceless'
Kiley O’Brien ’25, Assistant Features Editor • July 18, 2024
Fit to be king
Lilli Dellheim '25 M.A., Special to the Hawk • July 13, 2024

Lower Merion and Overbrook students join to protest education divide

Students and supporters lead the march with signs down Bala Avenue in Lower Merion Township with other protesters close behind. PHOTOS: DANNY REMISHEVSKY ’23/THE HAWK

On Aug. 30, students, faculty, staff and supporters from the Lower Merion and Overbrook school districts marched from Cynwyd Station Park in Bala Cynwyd to Tustin Playground in Overbrook in order to protest the funding divide between the two school districts. 

The protest was organized  by a group of current and former Lower Merion High School students, calling to “Break the divide of City Line.” 

Hasadri Freeman, a Lower Merion High School alumna who now attends the University of Leeds, said the education system is “the effect of years of oppresion and redlining.”

“Everyone deserves a fair education, no matter where you’re from. No matter if you’re from the suburb, or the urban city,” Freeman said. 

Caitlin McGinty, a Lower Merion High School student, said these issues are not just a Philadelphia problem.

“Every institution in America is built off of the egocentric narcissistic capitalistic overly masculine ideals and so we really want to debunk that narrative,” McGinty said.

Protesters walk a flag past St. Joe’s campus on 54th Street.
Protesters holding Black Lives Matters signs march past Samuel Gompers School.
A protester holds a Black Lives Matter sign at the start of the march.