Alumni team up to make masks for those in need

Alumni design, make and donate masks. PHOTO COURTESY OF APRIL BURKS AND MELANIE HASAN

April Burks ’09, founder of The Pink Lapel, a small accessory business, is making and donating masks to hospitals, essential workers and families in need in response to the coronavirus pandemic. 

“I made the first donation at Penn Neurology,” April Burks said. “They were apparently wearing scarfs around their faces, and they had nothing. From there, I donated to more places.” 

April Burks makes the masks and all of her products at her home studio in West Philadelphia. The Pink Lapel products are available for purchase online through their website and at Art Star in Northern Liberties, VIX Emporium in West Philadelphia and Smak Parlour in Old City. 

April Burks started The Pink Lapel in 2014 after the handsewn neckties she made for her husband, James Burks ’08, and his business partners received numerous compliments at a networking and entrepreneurship event. 

“I had taken this class at a local sewing school, and I made them as a good luck thing,” April Burks said. “A lot of people were asking them ‘Where did you get it from?’ and then suggested that I should sell them.”

James Burks, who handles the operations and management of the brand, said he knew the business could be profitable because his wife has always had an “entrepreneurial spirit,” and the products hold a unique space in the crafting market.

“There aren’t many Black women doing it,” James Burks said. “There also aren’t a lot of teams of husbands and wives doing it.”

The Pink Lapel sells ties, pocket squares, bow ties and other men’s and women’s accessories with vibrant patterns and prints that set the business apart from others. 

“I use a lot of prints that you wouldn’t usually see,” April Burks said. “I always try to find a lot of bright floral prints, and I’ve used a lot of African prints as well.” 

Although April Burks had no intention of selling masks, she realized the emerging market for masks would benefit her business and allow her to use her skills to help those most vulnerable.  

“At first, I didn’t feel comfortable profiting from a pandemic,” April Burks said. “Eventually, it became something that everyone needed.” 

As the number of requests for mask donations increased, April Burks collaborated with Melanie Hasan ’13, a close friend and fellow small business owner, who was also donating masks to local organizations. 

“[We] were working separately, but it got to the point where [we] were servicing the same hospitals,” Hasan said. “I suggested we collaborate because it makes no sense for one person to try to do 50 masks.”

Hasan is the founder of Modest Transitions, an online apparel and accessories business that focuses on utilizing natural dyes and sustainable techniques, while empowering women who choose to dress modestly.

Hasan began making masks after learning about the shortage of proper personal protective equipment among first responders and vulnerable communities from her husband, who works at the Philadelphia Fire Department. 

“I became so frustrated, and I immediately decided to sew masks for people,” Hasan said. “I just felt like it was imperative that I played my role with the skills that I had.”

Together, April Burks and Hasan donated close to 1,000 masks to various organizations around Philadelphia, including Penn Medicine, local police and fire departments and family shelters. 

April and James Burks hope to continue to grow The Pink Lapel and expand into new markets in the future. 

“COVID-19 has definitely changed some of where we want to go,” James Burks said. “We would love to collaborate with more businesses, be in more stores and do more in the [market] of weddings.”