Socially distant spring activities in and near Philadelphia

The Philadelphia Museum of Art currently offers 34 different exhibitions, virtually and in person. PHOTO: MITCHELL SHIELDS ’22/THE HAWK

It’s almost springtime in Philadelphia, which means people can enjoy sunshine, warmer weather and more time outdoors. Although spring break was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, there are still fun activities, both virtual and in person, that you can enjoy in Philadelphia and the surrounding area.  

Longwood Gardens Spring Blooms

Just about an hour drive from campus, Longwood Gardens, in Kennett Square, is the perfect place to see spring flowers in full bloom. In the garden you can enjoy a beautiful stroll through bright green foliage, colorful tulips and peaceful lakes. 

Health and safety protocols include mask requirements, both indoor and outdoor, and mandatory physical distancing. The spring season runs from March 27 to May 2, and the gardens are open 10 a.m.-6 p.m. every day, except Tuesdays. Tickets must be purchased in advance and cost $22 with a valid student ID. 

East Coast Jazz Festival 

Although you can’t travel to different cities on the East Coast, you can enjoy the best jazz music they have to offer. The inaugural East Coast Jazz Festival will feature six different jazz clubs from Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington D.C. with over 60 artists. Each club will be playing, either live or prerecorded, on six different stages in their respective cities. Chris’ Jazz Cafe in Center City will host three different acts that will be broadcast virtually.

Viewers can join this event virtually with pay-what-you-wish admission on March 20 from 5-11 p.m. 

Terrace on Tap

Enjoy beautiful weather and views of Independence Hall while dining on Liberty View Terrace on the second floor of the Independence Visitor’s Center. Terrace on Tap is open to all ages, but if you are over 21, enjoy local beer from Workhorse Brewing Company and Wissahickon Brewing Company with delicious food. 

The spring season’s opening weekend is March 26-28. Reservations are recommended, and guests are admitted for a two-hour period. 

Mural Arts Philadelphia

View incredible murals throughout Philadelphia from a birds-eye view with special drone footage while listening to commentary from experienced tour guides and celebrity guests. Mural Arts Philadelphia’s “Murals on the Fly” series has over 30 videos on their website for viewers to watch for free. 

Mural Arts Philadelphia also offers two virtual tours of some of the most iconic murals in the city, explained by professional tour guides.

Shofuso House and Garden 

Shofuso was designed by Junzo Yoshimura, a Japanese architect, and built in Japan in 1953 before it was shipped to New York, and eventually moved to West Fairmount Park in 1958. This historic site includes a beautiful pond garden with koi fish, a tea garden with a traditional tea house and a courtyard garden.  

Health and safety guidelines set by the city of Philadelphia will be enforced at the gardens. The 2021 season will begin on March 20, and is open Wednesday through Sunday 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Tickets are available for purchase in advance and cost $8 with a valid student ID.

Philadelphia Museum of Art

Explore art from around the world at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. There are 34 different exhibitions currently available, virtually or in person, including work from Elizabeth Catlett, a sculptor and graphic artist, who is best known for her depiction of “race, class, and her own African American female identity.”

Health and safety protocols include mask requirements, temperature checks, required social distancing and limited entry. The museum is open Friday 10 a.m.-8:45 p.m. and Saturday through Monday 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Timed-entry tickets for in-person visits can be purchased in advance, and cost $14 with a valid student ID. Pay-what-you-wish admission is also available the first Sunday of every month, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., and every Friday night from 5-8:45 p.m. Virtual exhibitions are available online for free.